This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Safety Belt Testing Apparatus
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new apparatus for testing modern safety belt systems was developed. The apparatus design, dynamic behavior and test procedure are described. A number of tests have been conducted using this apparatus. These tests allowed identification of key performance parameters of pretensioners and load limiting retractors which are relevant to occupant protection in a crash environment. Good test repeatability was observed, which allowed comparison of different safety belt designs. The apparatus may be used for better specification and verification of safety belt properties on a subsystem level as well as for the validation of CAE models of safety belts used in simulations of occupant response to crash events.
CitationKral, J., Kondel, T., Morra, M., Cassatta, S. et al., "Safety Belt Testing Apparatus," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1485, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1485.
- ECE Regulation No. 16. Uniform provisions concerning the approval of: I. Safety-belts, restraint systems, child restraint systems and ISOFIX child restraint systems for occupants of power-driven vehicles II. Vehicles equipped with safety-belts, safety-belt reminders, restraint systems, child restraint systems and ISOFIX child restraint systems.
- Finch, D. and Palmer, J., “DYNAMIC TESTING OF SEAT BELTS,” SAE Technical Paper 570045, 1957, doi:10.4271/570045.
- He, S. and Wilkins, M., “A Method to Evaluate the Energy Capability of Seat Belt Pretensioners,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0080, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0080.
- Voigt, T., Schrenk, W., Zellmer, H., L., “Enhanced Seat Belt Modelling Process to Improve Predictive Accuracy Of Dummy Responses in Frontal Impact,” Technical Paper 11-0151, 22nd ESV Conference, Washington 2011
- Newberry, W., Lai, W., Carhart, M., Richards, D. et al., “Modeling the Effects of Seat Belt Pretensioners on Occupant Kinematics During Rollover,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0246, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0246.