This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cycling Characteristics of Bicycles at an Intersection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Although traffic accidents in Japan involving bicycles have been decreasing yearly, more than 120,000 per year still occur. Few data exist regarding the mechanisms underlying bicycle accidents occurring at intersections. Such dangerous situations form the backdrop of the warning and automatic braking systems being developed for motor vehicles. By clarifying cyclist behavioral characteristics at crucial times, it may be possible to introduce a similar warning system for cyclists as a countermeasure to reduce accidents. The objective of this study is to clarify the mechanism of accidents involving bicycles and to obtain useful data for the development of a warning system for cyclists. A video camera and software investigated and analyzed cyclists' speed and trajectory at an intersection where many accidents occur. Cyclists entering the intersection from one direction were recorded. The results showed that the intersection offered poor visibility to cyclists, many of whom maintained their previous speed without stopping. Given these data, an improved infrastructure and a warning system using vehicle to cycle communication is desirable. Therefore, with construction of a warning system in mind, in this study we speculated on a timely warning that will contribute to safe cycling without causing alarm to the cyclist. If the warning should take place 2 s before the cyclist crosses the intersection, it would be effective for about 80% of the cyclists in this study, so our data have potential to contribute to the development of a warning system.
|Technical Paper||A Magnetostrictive Pedal Force Sensor for Automotive Applications|
|Technical Paper||Development of a Driver's Intention Determining Algorithm for a Steering System Based Collision Avoidance System|
CitationNikaido, S., Wada, S., Matsui, Y., Oikawa, S. et al., "Cycling Characteristics of Bicycles at an Intersection," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1465, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1465.
- Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis Annual report of traffic accidents Japan
- Traffic accident statistics National Police Agency Japan
- Popovic , Z. , Soloviev , A. , and Mochizuki , Y. Multi-Sensor System for Vehicle Positioning in Dense Urban Areas SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1035 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1035
- Ahmed-Zaid , F. , Krishnan , H. , Maile , M. , Caminiti , L. et al. Vehicle Safety Communications - Applications: System Design & Objective Testing Results SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 1 417 434 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0575
- Azimi , S. , Bhatia , G. , Rajkumar , R. , and Mudalige , P. Vehicular Networks for Collision Avoidance at Intersections SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 1 406 416 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0573
- Robinson , C. and Delgrossi , L. Integrating In-Vehicle Safety with Dedicated Short Range Communications for Intersection Collision Avoidance SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0747 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0747
- Liebner Martin , Klanner Felix , Stiller Christoph Active Safety for Vulnerable Road Users based on Smartphone Position Data 2013 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) June 23-26 2013 Gold Coast, Australia