This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparison of Bayesian Speed Estimates from Rollover and Critical Speed Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Martinez and Schlueter  described a three-phase model for reconstructing tripped rollover crashes, where the vehicle's path is divided into pre-trip, trip, and post-trip phases. Brach and Brach  also described this model and noted that the trajectory segmentation method for the pre-trip phase needed further validation. When a vehicle leaves a measurable yaw mark at the start of its pre-trip phase it might be possible to compare estimates from the three-phase model to those obtained using the critical speed method, and this paper describes Bayesian reconstruction of two such cases. For the first, the 95 percent confidence interval for the case vehicle's initial speed, estimated using the critical speed method, was (64 mph, 81 mph) while the 95 percent confidence interval via the three-phase model was (66 mph, 79 mph). For the second case an initial inconsistency between the two estimates suggested a modification to the three-phase model, leading to confidence intervals of (72 mph, 91 mph) and (79 mph, 92 mph) for the critical speed method and three-phase model, respectively.
CitationDavis, G., "A Comparison of Bayesian Speed Estimates from Rollover and Critical Speed Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1434, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1434.
- Paranteau, C., Viano, D., Shah, M., Gopal, M., Davies, J., Nichols, D., and Broden, B., “Field Relevance of a Suite of Rollover Tests to Real-World Crashes and Injuries,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, 35, 2003, 103-110.
- Orlowski, K., Moffatt, E., Bundorf, R., and Holcomb, M., “Reconstruction of Rollover Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 890857, 1989, doi:10.4271/890857.
- Cooperrider, N., Thomas, T., and Hammoud, S., “Testing and Analysis of Vehicle Rollover Behavior,” SAE Technical Paper 900366, 1990, doi:10.4271/900366.
- Cooperrider, N., Hammoud, S., and Colwell, J., “Characteristics of Soil-Tripped Rollovers,” SAE Technical Paper 980022, 1998, doi:10.4271/980022.
- Chen, H. and Guenther, D., “Modeling of Rollover Sequences,” SAE Technical Paper 931976, 1993, doi:10.4271/931976.
- Martinez, J. and Schlueter, R., “A Primer on the Reconstruction and Presentation of Rollover Accidents,” SAE Technical Paper 960647, 1996, doi:10.4271/960647.
- Meyer, S., Davis, M., Forrest, S., Chng, D. et al., “Accident Reconstruction of Rollovers - A Methodology,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0853, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0853.
- Cofone, J., Rollover Crashes of Motor Vehicles and Heavy Trucks, Institute of Police Technology and Management, 2002.
- Brach, R., and Brach, M., “Vehicle Accident Analysis and Reconstruction Methods, Second Edition,” (SAE International, 2014), doi10.4271/R-397.
- Hight, P., Siegel, A., and Nahum, A., “Injury Mechanisms in Rollover Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 720966, 1972, doi:10.4271/720966.
- Orlowski, K., Bundorf, R., and Moffatt, E., “Rollover Crash Tests-The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics,” SAE Technical Paper 851734, 1985, doi:10.4271/851734.
- Shi, Y. and Nusholtz, G., “Simple Models for Analysis of Curb- and Soil-trip Rollover Events,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0722, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0722.
- Anderson, J., Gee, R., Germane, G., Henry, K. et al., “Analysis of a Real-World High-Speed Rollover Crash from a Video Record and Physical Evidence,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1486, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1486.
- Carter, J., Luepke, P., Henry, K., Germane, G. et al., “Rollover Dynamics: An Exploration of the Fundamentals,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1(1):80-104, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0172.
- Rose, N. and Beauchamp, G., “Development of a Variable Deceleration Rate Approach to Rollover Crash Reconstruction,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):308-332, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0093.
- Asay, A. and Woolley, R., “Rollover Testing of Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) on an Actual Highway,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0521, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0521.
- Davis, G., “A Bayesian Approach to Cross-Validation in Pedestrian Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(1):293-303, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0290.
- Davis, G. “Bayesian Reconstruction of Traffic Accidents,” Law, Probability and Risk, 2, 69-89, 2003.
- Davis, G., “Sample-Based Estimation of Vehicle Speeds from Yaw Marks: Bayesian Implementation Using Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0467, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0467.
- Kost, G. and Werner, S., “Use of Monte Carlo Simulation Techniques in Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 940719, 1994, doi:10.4271/940719.
- Wood, D., and O'Riordain, S., “Monte Carlo Simulation Methods Applied to Accident Reconstruction and Avoidance Analysis,” Accident Reconstruction: Technology and Animation IV, SAE, 1994, 129-136.
- Davis, G. “Using Bayesian Networks to Identify the Causal Effect of Speeding in Individual Vehicle/Pedestrian Collision,” Proceedings of the 17th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, (Breese J. & Koller D., eds), San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann, 2001, 105-111.
- Lunn, D., Jackson, C., Best, N., Thomas, A., and Spiegelhalter, D., The BUGS Book: A Practical Introduction to Bayesian Analysis, CRC Press, 2013.
- Fricke, L. Traffic Crash Reconstruction, 2nd ed., Northwestern University Center for Public Safety, Evanston, IL, 2010.
- Davis, G., Davuluri, S., and Pei, J. “Speed As a Risk Factor in Serious Run-off-Road Crashes: Bayesian Case-Control Analysis with Case Speed Uncertainty,” Journal of Transportation and Statistics, 9(1), 2006, 17-28.
- Johnson, N., Kotz, S. and Balakrishnan, N., Continuous Univariate Distributions, Volume 1, 2nd edition, New York, Wiley and Sons, 1995.
- Bayarri, M., and Berger, J. “Quantifying Surprise in the Data and Model Verification,” (with discussion) Bayesian Statistics 6, (Bernardo J., Berger J., Dawid A. and Smith A. eds) Oxford University Press, Oxford UK, 53-82, 1998.
- Amirault, G. and MacInnis, S., “Variability of Yaw Calculations from Field Testing,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0103, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0103.
- Warner, C., Smith, G., James, M., and Germane, G., “Friction Applications in Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 830612, 1983, doi:10.4271/830612.
- Christoffersen, S., Jarzombek, M., Wallingford, J., Greenlees, W. et al., “Deceleration Factors on Off-Road Surfaces Applicable for Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 950139, 1995, doi:10.4271/950139.