This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Simulation of Opposed-Piston Four-Stroke Free-Piston Linear Generator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to overcome the serious mechanical vibration in the existed single-cylinder four-stroke free-piston generator, a novel opposed-piston four-stroke free-piston generator is designed and simulated in this paper. The system structure and working principle of the system is discussed. Energy balance equations of free-piston reciprocating motion are derived. Energy flow characteristics of the four strokes are analyzed. A virtual prototype is designed, and the dynamic characteristics and performance of the system is researched by mathematical simulation. According to the research, the proposed opposed-piston four-stroke free-piston generator has advantages of low mechanical vibration and high power density. It is a better choice for hybrid electrical vehicles than the existed design using as power generating systems.
CitationYan, H., Wang, D., and Xu, Z., "Design and Simulation of Opposed-Piston Four-Stroke Free-Piston Linear Generator," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1277, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1277.
- Mikalsen R , Roskilly A P A review of free-piston engine history and applications[J] Apply Thermal engineering 2007 27 2339 2352
- Mikalsen R , Roskilly A P Predictive piston motion control in a free-piston internal combustion engine[J] Applied Energy 2010 87 1722 1728
- Mikalsen R , Roskilly A P Performance simulation of a spark ignited free-piston engine generator[J] Applied Thermal Engineering 2008 28 1726 1733
- Tian C L , Feng H H Energy Conversion and Transfer Process of Free-piston Engine Generator [J] Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering 2012 43 11 11 14
- Xiao C , Zuo Z X
- Li Q F , Xiao J , Huang Z. Simulation of a Two Stroke HCCI Free Piston Linear Alternator[J] Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University 43 5 745 749
- Wang J B , West M , Howe D Design and experimental verification of a linear permanent magnet generator for a free-piston energy converter[J] IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 2007 22 2 299 306
- Xiao C , Zuo Z X Nonlinear Model and First Order Approximate Solution of a Free Piston Generator[J] Transaction of Beijing Institute of Technology 2008 28 11 966 969
- Wang D J , Yuan C H Design and Characteristics Analysis of Free-piston Linear Alternator with Passive Inlet Valve [J] Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering 2013 44 1 11 16
- Li Q F , Xiao J , Huang Z Simulation of Two Stroke HCCI Free Piston Linear Alternator[J] Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering 2009 40 2 41 45
- Xu Z P , Chang S Q Hierarchical Hybrid Control of a Four-stroke Free-piston Engine for Electrical Power Generation[J] IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation 2009 4045 4049
- Xu Z P , Chang S Q Improved Moving Coil Electric Machine for Internal Combustion Linear Generator[J] IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 2010 25 2 281 286
- Xu Z P , Chang S Q Prototype testing and analysis of a novel internal combustion linear generator integrated power system[J] Applied Energy August 2010 87 4 1342 1348
- Xu Z P , Chang S Q , Huang L Testing and Simulation of Four-stroke Free-piston Engine[J] Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering 2012 43 7 1 6
- Xu Z P , Chang S Q , Ling J M Piston Motion Control Method of Four-stroke Free-piston Generator [J] Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering 2013 44 1 6 10