This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
GPS Based Energy Management Control for Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In 2012 MAHLE Powertrain developed a range-extended electric vehicle (REEV) demonstrator, based on a series hybrid configuration, and uses a battery to store electrical energy from the grid. Once the battery state of charge (SOC) is depleted a gasoline engine (range extender) is activated to provide the energy required to propel the vehicle. As part of the continuing development of this vehicle, MAHLE Powertrain has developed control software which can intelligently manage the use of the battery energy through the combined use of GPS and road topographical data. Advanced knowledge of the route prior to the start of a journey enables the software to calculate the SOC throughout the journey and pre-determine the optimum operating strategy for the range extender to enable best charging efficiency and minimize NVH.
The software can also operate without a pre-determined route being selected. In this case the software will interrogate a database of previous drive data and select the most likely route being driven. Based on the predicted route the software will then select a suitable charging strategy for best efficiency. The system considers an array of factors to determine the optimum charging strategy such as the driving style of the driver. It is capable of improving upon its own predictions of vehicle energy usage over a series of journeys and aims to produce the most efficient charging strategy. The software has the potential to allow the vehicle to operate 100% electrically in Congestion Charging zones, by pre-emptively charging the battery prior to entering such zones.
This paper presents and overview of the software and strategy developed and shows the energy consumption benefits which this software can provide, based on example drive data for the REEV demonstrator, thus further improving the overall fuel consumption of the vehicle and reducing the vehicle emissions.
|Technical Paper||Development and Validation of New Control Algorithm for Parallel Hybrid Electric Transit Bus|
|Technical Paper||Development and Validation of New Control Strategy of Hybrid Power Train with ISG for Family Sedan|
CitationBassett, M., Brods, B., Hall, J., Borman, S. et al., "GPS Based Energy Management Control for Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1226, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1226.
- Miller , M. , Holmes , A. , Conlon , B. , and Savagian , P. The GM “Voltec” 4ET50 Multi-Mode Electric Transaxle SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1102 1114 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0887
- Rodrigues , M. , King , S. , Scott , D. , and Wang , D. Advanced Energy Management Strategies for Range Extended Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0121 2015 10.4271/2015-26-0121
- Bassett , M. , Hall , J. , Kennedy , G. , Cains , T. et al. The Development of a Range Extender Electric Vehicle Demonstrator SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1469 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1469
- Song , K. and Zhang , T. Instantaneous Optimization Energy Management for Extended-Range Electric Vehicle Based on Minimum Loss Power Algorithm SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0073 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0073
- Al-Doori , M. , Paluszczyszyn , D. , Elizondo , D. , Passow , B. and Goodyer , E. Range Extended for Electric Vehicle Based on Driver Behaviour Recognition The Institution of Engineering and Technology, 5 th Hybrid and Electric Vehicles Conference Hatfields, London 5 6 November 2014
- Bassett , M. , Fraser , N. , Brooks , T. , Taylor , G. et al. A Study of Fuel Converter Requirements for an Extended-Range Electric Vehicle SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 631 654 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0832
- Bassett , M. , Thatcher , I. , Bisordi , A. , Hall , J. et al. Design of a Dedicated Range Extender Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0862 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0862
- Bassett , M. , Hall , J. , OudeNijeweme , D. , Darkes , D. et al. The Development of a Dedicated Range Extender Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1002 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1002
- EC standard for measurement of fuel consumption, emissions and energy consumption of IC, hybrid and electric vehicles 29th April 2005
- Feng , F. , Lu , R. and Zhu , C. A Combined State of Charge Estimation Method for Lithium-Ion Batteries Used in a Wide Ambient Temperature Range Energies 2014 7 3004 3032 10.3390/en7053004
- Hall , J. , Marlok , H. , Bassett , M. , and Warth , M. Analysis of Real World Data from a Range Extended Electric Vehicle Demonstrator SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 4 1 2015 10.4271/2014-01-2887
- Bassett , M. , Hall , J. , Warth , M. , Eilemann , A. et al. Plug-in Hybrid Cooling System Requirements SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0711 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0711
- Gamma Technologies GT-Suite software https://www.gtisoft.com/ 27th October 2014
- Borman , Sz. , Kennedy , G. , Cains , T. , Hall , J. et al. The Development of a Flexible Hybrid Vehicle Control Unit SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1907 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1907
- Navit open source (GPL) car navigation system with routing engine http://www.navit-project.org/ 27 th October 2014
- Python programming language https://www.python.org/ 27 th October 2014