This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimal Control Inputs for Fuel Economy and Emissions of a Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hybrid electric vehicles offer significant fuel economy benefits, because battery and fuel can be used as complementing energy sources. This paper presents the use of dynamic programming to find the optimal blend of power sources, leading to the lowest fuel consumption and the lowest level of harmful emissions. It is found that the optimal engine behavior differs substantially to an on-line adaptive control system previously designed for the Lotus Evora 414E. When analyzing the trade-off between emission and fuel consumption, CO and HC emissions show a traditional Pareto curve, whereas NOx emissions show a near linear relationship with a high penalty. These global optimization results are not directly applicable for online control, but they can guide the design of a more efficient hybrid control system.
CitationKnapp, J., Chapman, A., Mody, S., and Steffen, T., "Optimal Control Inputs for Fuel Economy and Emissions of a Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1221, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1221.
- Gong Qiuming , Li Yaoyu and Peng Zhong-Ren Optimal Power Management of Plug-in HEV with Intelligent Transportation System University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Milwaukee 2007
- Turner , J. , Blake , D. , Moore , J. , Burke , P. et al. The Lotus Range Extender Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 2 318 351 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2208
- Chapman Adam , Rosario Leon Adaptive Semi-Global Energy Management for a Series Hybrid Performance Vehicle - The Lotus 414E EVS26 Los Angeles, California May 6 9 2012
- Xu Liangfei , Cao Guijun , Li Jianqiu , Yang Fuyuan , Lu Languang and Ouyang Minggao Equivalent Consumption Minimization Strategies of Series Hybrid City Buses Energy Management Perez Francisco Macia 978-953-307-065-0 2010
- He B. and Yang M. Optimisation-based energy management of series hybrid vehicles considering transient behavior Int. J. Alternative Propulsion 2006 1 1
- Venkataraman P. Applied Optimization with Matlab Programming 2nd John Miley & Sons 2009 437
- Bellman Richard Dynamic Programming Dover Publications Inc. Dover 2003 3
- Sundstrom , O. ; Guzzella , L. A Generic Dynamic Programming Matlab Function Control Applications,(CCA) & Intelligent Control, (ISIC) 2009 IEEE 1625 1630 8 10 July 2009
- Turner J. , Blake D. , Moore J. , Burke P. , Pearson R. , Patel R. , Blundell D. , Chandrashekar R. , Matteucci L. , Barker , P. and Card , C. The Lotus Range Extender Engine for Plug-In Series Hybrid Vehicles SAE 2010 Powertrains, Fuels & Lubricants Meeting
- Sundström , O; , Ambühl , D. ; Guzzella , L. On Implementation of Dynamic Programming for Optimal Control Problems with Final State Constraints Oil Gas Sci. Technol. - Rev. IFP 65 1 91 102 2010 http://www.idsc.ethz.ch/Downloads/Download Files/dpm
- Regulation (EC) No 715/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2007 http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/environment/air_pollution/l28186_en.htm
- André M. Real-world driving cycles for measuring cars pollutant emissions - Part A: The Artemis European driving cycles Bron, France 97 2004
- Andre , M. Compiled datasets of European driving data http://www.inrets.fr/linstitut/unites-de-recherche-unites-de-service/lte/themes-de-recherche/energie-et-pollution-de-lair/parcs-de-vehicules/artemis-2000-2004.html
- Hall Mark , Frank Eibe , Holmes Geoffrey , Pfahringer Bernhard , Reutemann Peter , Witten Ian H. The WEKA Data Mining Software: An Update SIGKDD Explorations 11 1 2009