This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Charging Strategy of Lithium-ion Battery
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lithium-ion battery charging strategy affects charging time of electric vehicles, energy efficiency of entire vehicle, service life and safety. This paper focuses on the lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery, based on the battery internal mechanism and the working conditions, taking charging time, effective full-charge capacity and charge energy efficiency as the evaluation indexes.
Firstly, through a series of comparative experiments of the constant-current constant-voltage and the constant current charging strategy, the evaluation indexes variations in different temperatures and charging currents have been studied in the paper. By analyzing the respective characteristics of constant current charging phase and constant voltage charging phase in the whole charging process and their own contributions, we have found out the superiority of the constant current charging strategy. Then, through experiments of pulse current charging, which changes pulse mode, pulse period and duty ratio, the effects of various parameters above have been found. Finally, in order to shorten the charging time and relax the polarization, a new charging strategy which applies a small constant current or pulse current or constant-current pulse-current in the late constant current charging phase was proposed in this paper. By changing the value of currents and the SOC points where the current transforms to the small current charging, this paper has also gotten the data of evaluation indexes.
Through the aforementioned experiments, decisions of electric vehicle charging strategies can be partly made in different charging conditions, based on the target of shortest charging time, maximum charge capacity or highest charging efficiency.
CitationXu, X., Wei, X., Gao, H., Zhu, J. et al., "Research on Charging Strategy of Lithium-ion Battery," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1192, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1192.
- Shen W , Vo T T , Kapoor A Charging algorithms of lithium-ion batteries: An overview [C] Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), 2012 7th IEEE Conference on. IEEE 2012 1567 1572
- Wang S C , Huang J W , Liu Y H et al. The implementation of consecutive orthogonal array method on searching optimal five step charging pattern for Lithium-ion batteries [C] Intelligent Control and Automation (WCICA), 2011 9th World Congress on. IEEE 2011 358 363
- Zhang S S The effect of the charging protocol on the cycle life of a Li-ion battery [J] Journal of Power Sources 2006 161 2 1385 1391
- Zhang S S , Xu K , Jow T R Study of the charging process of a LiCoO2-based Li-ion battery [J] Journal of Power Sources 2006 160 2 1349 1354
- Park C et al. Variables study for the fast charging lithium ion batteries [J] Journal of Power Sources 2007 165 2 892 896
- Ma D , Bai J , You F Study on transition charging method of lithium-ion battery based on the multiple model adaptive control Mechatronic Science [C]//Electric Engineering and Computer (MEC), 2011 International Conference 2011
- Leong C K et al. Ultra fast charging system on lithium-ion battery Sustainable Utilization and Development [C] //Engineering and Technology (STUDENT), 2010 IEEE Conference 2010
- Yi-Hwa L , Ching-Hsing H , Yi-Feng L Search for an optimal five-step charging pattern for Li-ion batteries using consecutive orthogonal arrays [J] Energy Conversion, IEEE Transactions 2011 26 2 654 661
- Yi-Hwa L , Jen-Hao T , Yu-Chung L Search for an optimal rapid charging pattern for Lithium-ion batteries using ant colony system algorithm [J] Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions 2005 52 5 1328 1336
- Asadi Houshyar et al. Fuzzy control based five-step Li-ion battery charger by using AC impedance technique [C] Fourth International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 2011): Machine Vision, Image Processing, and Pattern Analysis, Proc. of SPIE 2011
- Saberi H , Salmasi F R Genetic optimization of charging current for lead-acid batteries in hybrid electric vehicles [C] Electrical Machines and Systems, 2007, International Conference. ICEMS 2007
- Purushothaman B. K. and Landau U. Rapid charging of lithium-ion batteries using pulsed currents Journal of The Electrochemical Society 153 3 A533 A542 2006
- Notten P. , het Veld J. O. , and van Beek J. Boostcharging li-ion batteries: A challenging new charging concept Journal of Power Sources 145 1 89 94 2005
- Smith K. Electrochemical control of lithium-ion batteries [applications of control] Control Systems Magazine, IEEE 30 2 18 25 apr. 2010
- Klein , Reinhardt , Chaturvedi Nalin A. et al. Optimal Charging Strategies in Lithium-ion Battery[C] American Control Conference 382 387 2011