This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Predictive Control of a Power-Split HEV with Fuel Consumption and SOC Estimation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper studies model predictive control algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) energy management to improve HEV fuel economy. In this paper, Model Predictive Control (MPC), a predictive control method, is applied to improve the fuel economy of power-split HEV. A dedicated model predictive control method is developed to predict vehicle speed, battery state of charge (SOC), and engine fuel consumption. The power output from the engine, motor, and the mechanical brake will be adjusted to match driver's power request at the end of the prediction window while minimizing fuel consumption. The controller model is built on Matlab® MPC toolbox® and the simulations are based on MY04 Prius vehicle model using Autonomie®, a powertrain and fuel economy analysis software, developed by Argonne National Laboratory. The study compares the performance of MPC and conventional rule-base control methods. A parametric study is conducted to understand the influence of 3 weighting factors in MPC formulation on the performance of the vehicles. The conclusion provides a sound ground for further fuel consumption optimization and implementation of stochastic MPC.
CitationFeng, L., Cheng, M., and Chen, B., "Predictive Control of a Power-Split HEV with Fuel Consumption and SOC Estimation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1161, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1161.
- EPA/NHTSA, Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards; Final Rule., Register F., Editor. 2010.
- EPA/NHTSA, 2017 and Later Model Year Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards; Final Rule., Register F., Editor. 2012.
- Moura, S.J., et al., A Stochastic Optimal Control Approach for Power Management in Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions on, 2011. 19(3): p. 545-555.
- Liu, J. and Peng H., Modeling and control of a power-split hybrid vehicle. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 2008. 16(6).
- Borhan, H.A., et al., Predictive energy management of a power-split hybrid electric vehicle. 2009 American Control Conference (ACC-09), 2009.
- Serrao, L., Onori S., and Rizzoni G., A Comparative Analysis of Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control-Transactions of the Asme, 2011. 133(3).
- Sciarretta, A. and Guzzella L., Control of hybrid electric vehicles. IEEE Control Systems Magazine, 2007. 27(2): p. 60-70.
- Sundstroem, O., Ambuehl D., and Guzzella L., On Implementation of Dynamic Programming for Optimal Control Problems with Final State Constraints. Oil & Gas Science and Technology-Revue D Ifp Energies Nouvelles, 2010. 65(1): p. 91-102.
- Lin, C.-C., et al., Power management strategy for a parallel hybrid electric truck. Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions on, 2003. 11(6): p. 839-849.
- Johannesson, L., Asbogard M., and Egardt B., Assessing the potential of predictive control for hybrid vehicle powertrains using stochastic dynamic programming. IEEE Transactions on intelligent transportation systems, 2007. 8(1).
- Koot, M., et al., Energy management strategies for vehicular electric power systems. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 54(3).
- Perez, L.V., et al., Optimization of power management in an hybrid electric vehicle using dynamic programming. Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, 2006. 2006(73): p. 244-254.
- Chan-Chiao, L., Huei P., and Grizzle J.W.. A stochastic control strategy for hybrid electric vehicles. in American Control Conference, 2004. Proceedings of the 2004. 2004.
- Tate, E.D., Grizzle J.W., and Peng H., Shortest path stochastic control for hybrid electric vehicles. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, 2008. 18(14): p. 1409-1429.
- Borhan, H., et al., MPC-Based Energy Management of a Power-Split Hybrid Electric Vehicle. Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions on, 2011. PP(99): p. 1-11.
- Bichi, M., et al. Stochastic model predictive control with driver behavior learning for improved powertrain control. in Decision and Control (CDC), 2010 49th IEEE Conference on. 2010.
- Ripaccioli, G., et al. A stochastic model predictive control approach for series hybrid electric vehicle power management. in American Control Conference (ACC), 2010. 2010.
- Kim, N., Cha S., and Peng H., Optimal Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles Based on Pontryagin's Minimum Principle. Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions on, 2011. PP(99): p. 1-9.
- Muller, E.A., Stefanopoulou A.G., and Guzzella L., Optimal Power Control of Hybrid Fuel Cell Systems for an Accelerated System Warm-up. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 2007. 15(2).
- Ambühl, D., et al., Explicit optimal control policy and its practical application for hybrid electric powertrains. Control Engineering Practice, 2010. 18(12): p. 1429-1439.
- Sciarretta, A., Back M., and Guzzella L., Optimal control of parallel hybrid electric vehicles. Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions on, 2004. 12(3): p. 352-363.
- Musardo, C., Rizzoni G., and Staccia B.. A-ECMS: An Adaptive Algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management. in Decision and Control, 2005 and 2005 European Control Conference. CDC-ECC '05. 44th IEEE Conference on. 2005.
- Paganelli, G., et al., General supervisory control policy for the energy optimization of charge-sustaining hybrid electric vehicles. JSAE Review, 2001. 22(4): p. 511-518.
- Karbowski, D., Kwon, J., Kim, N., and Rousseau, A., “Instantaneously Optimized Controller for a Multimode Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0816, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0816.
- Musardo, C., et al., Supervisory Control for NOx Reduction of an HEV with a Mixed-Mode HCCI/CIDI Engine, in 2005 American Control Conference. Portland, OR, USA.
- Pisu, P. and Rizzoni G., A Supervisory Control Strategy for Series Hybrid Electric Vehicles with Two Energy Storage Systems, in Vehicle Power and Propulsion, 2005 IEEE Conference.
- Park, J., Park, Y., and Park, J., “Model Based Optimization of Supervisory Control Parameters for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1453, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1453.
- Gonder, J., “Route-Based Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1315, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1315.
- Kim, N. and Rousseau, A., “Comparison between Rule- Based and Instantaneous Optimization for a Single-Mode, Power-Split HEV,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0873, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0873.
- Banvait, H., Anwar S., and Chen Y., A Rule-Based Energy Management Stategy for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV), in 2009 American Control Conference. Hyatt Regency Riverfront, St. Louis, MO, USA.
- Gong, Q., Li Y., and Peng Z., Trip-Based Optimal Power Management of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2008. 57(6).
- Zhu, Y., et al. A Four-Step Method to Design an Energy Management Strategy for Hybrid Vehicles. in Proceeding of the 2004 American Control Conference. 20044. Boston. Massachusetts
- Pisu, P. and Rizzoni G.. H-Infinity control for hybrid electric vehicles. in Decision and Control, 2004. CDC. 43rd IEEE Conference on. 2004.
- Salmasi, F.R., Control Strategies for Hybrid Electric Vehicles: Evolution, Classification, Comparison, and Future Trends. Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on, 2007. 56(5): p. 2393-2404.
- Lee, H.-D. and Sul S.-K., Fuzzy-logic-based Torque Control Strategy for Parallel-Type Hybrid Electric Vehicle. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 45(4).
- Rajagopalan, A., et al., Development of Fuzzy Logic and Neural Network Control and Advanced Emissions Modeling for Parallel Hybrid Vehicles. National Renewable Energy Laboratory: December 2003.
- Poursamad, A. and Montazeri M., Design of Generic-fuzzy Control Strategy for Parralle Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Control Engineering Practice, 2008. 2008(16): p. 861-873.
- Shi, G., et al. Study and Simulation of Based-fuzzy-logic Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicles Control Strategy. in the Sixth International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA'06). 2006.
- Salmasi, F.R., Control Strategies for Hybrid Electric Vehicles: Evolution, Classification, Comparison and Future Trends. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 56(5).
- Jinming, L. and Huei P., Modeling and Control of a Power-Split Hybrid Vehicle. Control Systems Technology, IEEE Transactions on, 2008. 16(6): p. 1242-1251.
- Jinming, L., Huei P., and Filipi Z.. Modeling and Control Analysis of Toyota Hybrid System. in Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics. Proceedings, 2005 IEEE/ASME International Conference on. 2005.
- Autonomie - Powertrain and Vehicle Model Architecture and Development Environment. Version: 1210]. Available from: http://www.autonomie.net/.