This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Testing of a Novel Multiple-Disc Magneto-Rheological Clutch Applied in Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years, Magneto-rheological (MR) fluid has drawn a lot of attention for its applications in a variety of torque transmission devices, such as brakes, clutches and soft starters of mechanical equipment. Compared with the conventional clutch of vehicle, the novel MR clutch has the advantages of fast response with electronic signal, accuracy control and simple structure without mechanical wear in plates. Besides, MR clutch may be helpful to fast response of vehicle in some situation. Nowadays, most applications of MR fluids in the torque transmission field mainly are used in low-power situation. As far as we know, the proposed effective methods enhancing the output torque of MR devices will increase either the number of fluid gaps or the magnetic field in the MR fluid.
This article presents a novel vehicle clutch utilizing magnetorheological fluid and multiple-disc structure. In order to be used in vehicle, the clutch utilizes a new multiple-disc transmission form to increase the output torque and disperses the heat due to the friction on the whole working faces. The design of the proposed MR clutch will be described in this paper, such as the form of the transmission, the output torque, the magnetic circuit and the fluid characteristics. Then, a magneto-static simulation method is introduced to validate the designed magnetic circuit. A simulation model of the prototype was experimented to get the results concerning the torque transmission and power consumption. The experimental results showed the MR clutch can meet the required of vehicle. Furthermore, the theory and the simulation model parameters can be used to develop the MR clutch model and prototype.
|Technical Paper||Dynamics of Overrunning Clutches of Relay Type|
|Technical Paper||Integrated Powertrain Control of Gearshifts On Twin Clutch Transmissions|
|Special Publication||Transmission and Driveline Systems Symposium 2001|
CitationMa, L., Yu, L., Song, J., Xuan, W. et al., "Design and Testing of a Novel Multiple-Disc Magneto-Rheological Clutch Applied in Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1133, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1133.
- Rabinow The Magnetic Fluid Clutch AIEE Trans. 61 1308-1 15 1948
- Lampe , D. , Thess , A. and Dotzauer , C. MRF-Clutch-Design Considerations and Performance The 6th International Conference on New Actuators, Actuator 1998 Bremen, Germany
- Kavlicoglu , B. , Gordaninejad , F. , Evrensel , C.A. , Cobanoglu , N. , Xin , M. , Heine , C. , Fuchs , A. and Korol , G. A HighTorque Magneto-Rheological Fluid Clutch Proceedings of SPIE Conference on Smart Materials and Structures March 2002
- Neelakantan V A and Washington G N. Modeling and reduction of centrifuging in magnetorheological (MR) transmission clutches for automotive applications Journal Of Intelligent Material Systems And Structures 16 703 11
- Deur , J. , Libl , D. , Herold , Z. , Hancock , M. et al. Design and Experimental Characterization of a Magnetorheological Fluid Clutch SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0142 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0142
- Guth D , Schamoni M and Maas J. Magnetic fluid control for viscous loss reduction of high-speed MRF brakes and clutches with well-defined fail-safe behavior Smart Materials And Structures 22 2013
- Dai S Q , Du C B and Yu G J. Design, testing and analysis of a novel composite magnetorheological fluid clutch Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 24 2013
- Wang D M , Tian Z Z , Meng Q R and Hou Y F. Development of a novel two-layer multiplate magnetorheological clutch for high-power applications Smart Materials And Structures 22 2013