This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Experimental Study and Performance Analysis of Air-Friction Reduction System for Hydraulic Retarder
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The hydraulic retarder is an important auxiliary braking device for the heavy vehicle, which has some characteristics, such as the big brake torque and long duration braking, when the vehicle is traveling in braking state. However, the transmission power loss will be produced when the vehicle is traveling in non-braking state. This transmission power loss is called Air-friction.
Firstly, the air flow distribution characteristics of retarder cavity are studied by computational fluid mechanics, and the Air-friction characteristic in different conditions is analyzed. Then, according to the Air-friction characteristics for the condition of different filling density, a set of vacuum air loss reduction system is designed. Meanwhile, the test bench for retarder Air-friction is set up, the test data of the revolution speed, pressure in cavity and air loss resistance is obtained according to the test bench for hydraulic retarder. The feasibility of Air-friction scheme is verified by the test result, and the result is shown that this Air-friction reduction system has good effects on Air-friction reduction under the condition of ensuring the normal braking, and the transmission power loss can reduce 84%.
- Wenbin Liu - Wuhan University of Technology
- Gangfeng Tan - Wuhan University of Technology
- Xiaoqing Tian - Wuhan University of Technology
- Zhiqiang Hu - Wuhan University of Technology
- Yuanqi Gao - Wuhan University of Technology
- Zhi Li - Wuhan University of Technology
- Junyi Yuan - Wuhan University of Technology
- Wei Liu - Wuhan University of Technology
CitationLiu, W., Tan, G., Tian, X., Hu, Z. et al., "The Experimental Study and Performance Analysis of Air-Friction Reduction System for Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1127, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1127.
- Wang , C. , Tan , G. , Guo , X. , Chen , M. et al. Analysis of Hydraulic Retarder Air-Friction Characteristics SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2504 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2504
- Wang , C. , Tan , G. , Yang , B. , Chen , M. et al. The Performance Study of Air-Friction Reduction System for Hydraulic Retarder SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2283 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2283
- Wu , Chao. , Xu , Ming. , Li , Huiyuan. , Guo , Liuyang. Air Losing Experimental Study of Heavy Vehicle Hydraulic Retarder Vehicle and Power Technology 1 24 25 2012 1009-4687(2012)01-0023-03
- Zhu , Jingchang. , Wei , Chenguan. Vehicle Hydraulic Transmission Beijing Defense Industry 1982 86 90
- Tan , G. and Guo , X. The Modeling and Performance Analysis of the Retarder Thermal Management System SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1929 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1929
- Guo , Xuexun. , Shi , Jun. The design and Experimental Study of a Vehicle Hydraulic Retarder Automotive Engineering 25 3 240 241 2003