This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of B20 Combustion and Emission Characteristics under Several EGR Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is found that biodiesel has a great potential to reduce the nitrogen oxides (NOx) and soot emissions simultaneously in low temperature combustion (LTC) mode. The objective of this study is to investigate the combustion and emission characteristics of 20% biodiesel blend diesel fuel (B20) under several exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) conditions for LTC application. An experimental investigation of B20 was conducted on a four-stroke common rail direct injection diesel engine at 2000rpm and 25% load condition. The EGR ratio was adjusted from 10% to 66%, and the injection pressure was tuned from 100MPa to 140MPa.
The result showed that B20 generated less soot emission than conventional diesel with increasing EGR ratio, especially when the EGR ratio was beyond 30%. Soot emission increased with increasing EGR ratio up to 50% EGR, after which there is a steep decrease in particular matter (PM). Soot and NOx emission decreased simultaneously in a narrow region between 50% and 66% EGR ratio. Meanwhile, the soot emission declined with the promotion of injection pressure.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study of Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filter with Exhaust Fuel Injection System for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||Emission Characteristics from After-Treatment System of Medium and Light Duty Engines|
CitationChai, Z., Zhang, F., Liu, B., Huang, Y. et al., "Experimental Study of B20 Combustion and Emission Characteristics under Several EGR Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1078, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1078.
- Choi , C.Y. , Reitz , R.D. An experimental study on the effects of oxygenated fuel blends and multiple injection strategies on DI diesel engine emissions Fuel 78 1303 1317 1999
- Zheng , M. , Mulenga , M. , Reader , G. , Tan , Y. et al. Neat Biodiesel Fuel Engine Tests and Preliminary Modelling SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0616 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0616
- Acharya , K. , Dahodwala , M. , Bryzik , W. , Henein , N. et al. Effect of Different Biodiesel Blends on Autoignition, Combustion, Performance and Engine-Out Emissions in a Single Cylinder HSDI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0489 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0489
- Li , T. , Suzuki , M. , and Ogawa , H. Characteristics of Smokeless Low Temperature Diesel Combustion in Various Fuel-Air Mixing and Expansion of Operating Load Range SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1449 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1449
- Asad , U. , Zheng , M. , Han , X. , Reader , G. et al. Fuel Injection Strategies to Improve Emissions and Efficiency of High Compression Ratio Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 1220 1233 2009 10.4271/2008-01-2472
- Kitamura , T. and Ito , T. Mixing-Controlled, Low Temperature Diesel Combustion with Pressure Modulated Multiple-Injection for HSDI Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 461 478 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0609
- Kook , S. , Bae , C. , Miles , P. , Choi , D. et al. The Influence of Charge Dilution and Injection Timing on Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion and Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3837 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3837
- Mueller , C. , Boehman , A. , and Martin , G. An Experimental Investigation of the Origin of Increased NO x Emissions When Fueling a Heavy-Duty Compression-Ignition Engine with Soy Biodiesel SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 789 816 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1792
- Fritz , S. , Hedrick , J. , and Rutherford , J. Locomotive Emissions Measurements for Various Blends of Biodiesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0106 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0106
- Zheng , M. , Mulenga , M. , Reader , G. , Wang , M. et al. Biodiesel engine performance and emissions in low temperature combustion Fuel 87 714 722 2008
- Nuszkowski , J. , Flaim , K. , and Thompson , G. The Effect of Cetane Improvers and Biodiesel on Diesel Particulate Matter Size SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 4 1 23 33 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0330
- Liu , H. , Yao , M. , Huo , M. , and Lee , C. Study of Biodiesel Combustion in a Constant Volume Chamber with Different Ambient Temperature and Oxygen Concentration SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1931 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1931
- Fang , T. , Lin , Y. , Foong , T. , and Lee , C. Spray and Combustion Visualization in an Optical HSDI Diesel Engine Operated in Low-Temperature Combustion Mode with Biodiesel and Diesel Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1390 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1390
- Hadavi , S. , Li , H. , Biller , P. , Lea-Langton , A. et al. Rape Seed Oil B100 Diesel Engine Particulate Emissions: The Influence of Intake Oxygen on Particle Size Distribution SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0435 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0435
- Kim , J. , Jang J. , Lee , K. , Lee , Y. et al. Experimental Investigation of B20 Combustion and Emissions under Various Intake Conditions for Low-Temperature Combustion Internal Journal of Automotive Technology 15 2 183 189 2014
- Lee , S. , Jang , J. , Oh , S. , Lee , Y. et al. Comparative Study on Effect of Intake Pressure on Diesel and Biodiesel Low Temperature Combustion Characteristics in a Compression Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2533 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2533
- Bittle , J. , Knight , B. , and Jacobs , T. The Impact of Biodiesel on Injection Timing and Pulsewidth in a Common-Rail Medium-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 312 325 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2782
- Tompkins , B. , Song , H. , and Jacobs , T. Low Temperature Heat Release of Palm and Soy Biodiesel in Late Injection Low Temperature Combustion SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 1 106 115 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1381
- Bhusnoor , S. , Babu , M. , and Subrahmanyam , J. Studies on Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a CI Engine Operating on Diesel and Diesel Biodiesel Blends at Different Injection Pressures and Injection Timings SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0613 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0613
- Stringer , V. , Cheng , W. , Lee , C. , and Hansen , A. Combustion and Emissions of Biodiesel and Diesel Fuels in Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engines using Multiple Injection Strategies SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1388 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1388
- Zhu , H. , Bohac , V. , Nakashima , K. , Hagen M. et al Effect of biodiesel and ethanol on load limits of high-efficiency premixed low-temperature combustion in a diesel engine Fuel 106 773 778 2013