This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Spray Cone Angle on Mixture Formation and CO/Soot Emissions in an Early Injection HCCI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Impingement of injected fuel spray against the cylinder liner (wall wetting) is one of the main obstacles that must be overcome in order for early injection Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (EI HCCI) combustion. In the strategies to reduce or prevent wall wetting explored in the past, limiting the spray cone angle was proved to be a useful approach.
This paper is presented to study the effect of the spray cone angle on the mixture formation, particularly the region near the cylinder wall (wall wetting region), and CO/Soot emissions of an EI HCCI diesel engine. Three-dimensional modeling was performed in AVL FIRE code. The calculation grid was divided into three regions which were defined as the combustion chamber region, the wall wetting region, and the central regions. The history of the CO/soot mass of each region and the equivalent ratio/temperature (φ-T map) of wall wetting region were analyzed. In addition, a parameter named Mixture Homogeneous Index (MHI) was introduced to evaluate the quality of fuel/air mixture.
Conclusions drawn from the simulation suggested that wall wetting region contributed most to the total engine-out soot /CO emissions. The spray cone angle directly controlled the mixture formation and soot /CO emissions of the wall wetting region. Using narrow spray cone angle injector could reduce the wall film formed in the early injection period, further enhancing the homogeneity of the mixture in wall wetting region. This promoted the oxidation of soot and CO and improved the emission level of EI-HCCI diesel engine.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study of B20 Combustion and Emission Characteristics under Several EGR Conditions|
|Technical Paper||Investigation of Spray-Bowl Interaction Using Two-Part Analysis in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine|
- Hanzhengnan Yu - State Key Lab. of Engines
- Yong Guo - China Automobile Technology and Research
- Donghai Li - Weichai Power Co., Ltd.; Shanghai R&D Center
- Xingyu Liang - State Key Lab. of Engines
- Ge-Qun Shu - State Key Lab. of Engines
- Yuesen Wang - State Key Lab. of Engines
- Xiangxiang Wang - State Key Lab. of Engines
- Lihui Dong - State Key Lab. of Engines
CitationYu, H., Guo, Y., Li, D., Liang, X. et al., "Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Spray Cone Angle on Mixture Formation and CO/Soot Emissions in an Early Injection HCCI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1070, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1070.
- Yao Mingfa , Zheng Zhaolei , Liu Haifeng Progress and recent trends in homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 2009 10.1016/j.pecs.2009.05.001
- Berggren Christian , Magnusson Thomas Reducing automotive emissions-The potentials of combustion engine technologies and the power of policy Energy Policy 2012 10.1016/j.enpol.2011.11.025
- Valentino Gerardo , Corcione Felice E. , Iannuzzi Stefano E. , Serra Simone Experimental study on performance and emissions of a high speed diesel engine fuelled with n-butanol diesel blends under premixed low temperature combustion Fuel 2012 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.07.035
- Musculus Mark P.B. , Miles Paul C. , Pickett Lyle M. Conceptual models for partially premixed low-temperature diesel combustion Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 2013 10.1016/j.pecs.2012.09.001
- Onishi , S. , Jo , S. , Shoda , K. , Jo , P. et al. Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines SAE Technical Paper 790501 1979 10.4271/790501
- Noguchi , M. , Tanaka , Y. , Tanaka , T. , and Takeuchi , Y. A Study on Gasoline Engine Combustion by Observation of Intermediate Reactive Products during Combustion SAE Technical Paper 790840 1979 10.4271/790840
- Kook Sanghoon , Park Seik , Bae Choongsik Influence of Early Fuel Injection Timings on Premixing and Combustion in a Diesel Engine Energy Fuels 2008 10.1021/ef700521b
- Ryan Thomas Low Emissions Combustion - One Path Forward, Southwest Research Institute ERC-2005SYMPOSIUM Low Emissions Combustion Technologies for Future IC Engines June 8-9 2005
- Miyamoto , T ; Tsurushima , T ; Shimazaki , N et al Modeling ignition and combustion in direct injection compression ignition engines employing very early injection timing JSME International Journal Series B Fluids and Thermal Engineering 2002 10.1299/jsmeb.45
- Jia , M. , Peng , Z. , Xie , M. , and Stobart , R. Evaluation of Spray/Wall Interaction Models under the Conditions Related to Diesel HCCI Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 993 1008 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1632
- Kim M.Y. , Lee . C.S. Effect of a narrow fuel spray angle and a dual injection configuration on the improvement of exhaust emissions in a HCCI diesel engine Fuel 2007 10.1016/j.fuel.2007.03.016
- Yoon S.H. , Cha J.P. , Lee . C.S. An investigation of the effects of spray angle and injection strategy on dimethyl ether (DME) combustion and exhaust emission characteristics in a common-rail diesel engine Fuel Processing Technology 2010 10.1016/j.fuproc.2010.04.017
- Kook , S. and Bae , C. Combustion Control Using Two-Stage Diesel Fuel Injection in a Single-Cylinder PCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0938 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0938
- Lechner , G. , Jacobs , T. , Chryssakis , C. , Assanis , D. et al. Evaluation of a Narrow Spray Cone Angle, Advanced Injection Timing Strategy to Achieve Partially Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0167 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0167
- Park S.H. , Yoon S.H. , Lee C.S. HC and CO emissions reductionby early injection strategy in a bioethanol blended diesel-fueledengine with a narrow angle injection system Applied Energy 2013 10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.02.015
- Martin , G. , Mueller , C. , Milam , D. , Radovanovic , M. et al. Early Direct-Injection, Low-Temperature Combustion of Diesel Fuel in an Optical Engine Utilizing a 15-Hole, Dual-Row, Narrow-Included-Angle Nozzle SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 1057 1082 2009 10.4271/2008-01-2400
- Fang T. , Lee Chia-fon F. Low sooting combustion of narrow-angle wall-guided sprays in an HSDI diesel engine with retarded injection timings Fuel 2011 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.12.031
- Dolak , J. ; Reitz , R. D Optimization of the piston geometry of a diesel engine using a two-spray-angle nozzle Proc. IMechE Part D: J. Automobile Engineering 2011 10.1177/09544070JAUTO1626
- Mobasheri , R. and Peng , Z. A Computational Investigation into the Effects of Included Spray Angle on Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operating Parameters SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1714 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1714
- Mundo C , Sommerfeld M , Tropea M C Experimental studies of the deposition and splashing of small liquid droplets impinging on a flat surface ICLASS 94 Rouen, France 1994
- AVL Fire version 2009, ICE Physics & Chemistry, Combustion, Emission, Spray, Wall film AVL LIST GmbH