This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Spray Modeling Under Off-Axis Needle Displacement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Relatively recent investigations, basing on experiments as well as on modeling, have highlighted that the needle displacement in common-rail diesel injectors is affected by radial components. The effects of such “off-axis” needle displacement on fuel flow features have been so far investigated within the nozzle, only.
The objective of this work is to extend the attention towards the formation of fuel sprays, when needle off-axis condition is encountered. In such a viewpoint, the development of each fuel spray has been modeled taking into account the hole-to-hole variations induced by the needle misalignment.
The investigation has been carried out basing on 3D-CFD campaigns, in AVL FIRE environment. The modeling of diesel nozzle flow has been interfaced to the spray simulation, initializing the break-up model on the basis of the transient flow conditions (fuel velocity, turbulence and vapor fraction) at each hole outlet section.
The current investigation has been performed on a complete geometry of a common rail multi-hole VCO nozzle. Simulations have shown how the needle misalignment is reflected in the formation of the fuel jets. Quantitative results have been provided on each fuel spray development, pointing out the hole-to-hole variations induced by the needle off-axis displacement.
CitationChiatti, G., Chiavola, O., Palazzoni, M., and Palmieri, F., "Diesel Spray Modeling Under Off-Axis Needle Displacement," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0922, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0922.
- Ivanco , A. , Zhou , K. , Hofmann , H. , and Filipi , Z. A Framework for Optimization of the Traction Motor Design Based on the Series-HEV System Level Goals SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1801 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1801
- Deborne , R. , Gilles , R. , and Kemeny , A. Modeling Driver Adaptation Capabilities in Critical Driving Situations SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1179 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1179
- Singh , I. , Zhong , L. , Lai , M. , Henein , N. et al. Effect of Nozzle hole Geometry on a HSDI Diesel Engine-Out Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0704 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0704
- Som , S. , Ramirez , A. I. , Longman , D. E. , Aggarwal , S. K. Effect of nozzle orifice geometry on spray, combustion, and emission characteristics under diesel engine conditions Fuel 90 3 1267 1276 2011
- Chiatti , G. , Chiavola , O. , Palmieri F. Diesel Nozzle Flow Investigation in Non-Radial Multi Hole Geometry ASME Paper 5556, presented at 2014 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference Columbus IN (USA) October 2014
- De Risi , A. , Colangelo , G. , and Laforgia , D. An Experimental Study of High Pressure Nozzles in Consideration of Hole-to-Hole Spray Abnormalities SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1250 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1250
- Mitroglou N. , Gavaises M. , Arcoumanis , D. Spray Stability From VCO and a New Diesel Nozzle Design Concept Fuel Systems for IC Engines IMechE, Woodhead Publishing 2012 279 290 9780857092106 10.1533/9780857096043.7.279
- Bae , C. and Kang , J. Diesel Spray Development of VCO Nozzles for High Pressure Direct-Injection SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1254 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1254
- Fezzaa , K. , Lee W.K. , Cheong S. , Powell C.F. , Wang J. , Li M. , and Lai M.C. High Pressure Diesel Injection Studied by Time-Resolved X-Ray Phase Contrast Imaging ICES2006 ASME Paper No. 1409
- Palmieri , F. The Influence of Actual Layout and Off-Axis Needle Stroke on Diesel Nozzle Flow Under Ballistic Needle Displacement J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 135 10 2013 10.1115/1.402498
- FIRE CFDWM User Guide, Solver Manual, Multiphase Flow Manual AVL List Graz, Austria 2013
- Battistoni , M. , Xue , Q. , Som , S. , and Pomraning , E. Effect of Off-Axis Needle Motion on Internal Nozzle and Near Exit Flow in a Multi-Hole Diesel Injector SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 1 167 182 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1426
- Tatschl , R. , v. Kunsberg-Sarre , C. , Alajbegovic , A. and Winklhofer , E. Diesel Spray Modelling Including Multidimensional Cavitation Nozzle Flow Effects Proc. of ILASS Europe Conference Sept. 11 13 Darmstadt, Germany 2000
- Patterson , M. and Reitz , R. Modeling the Effects of Fuel Spray Characteristics on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emission SAE Technical Paper 980131 1998 10.4271/980131
- O'Rourke , P.J. and Bracco , F.V. Modelling of Drop Interactions in Thick Sprays and a Comparison With Experiments IMECHE 1980
- Dukowicz , J.K. A Particle-Fluid Numerical Model for Liquid Sprays J. Comp. Physics 35 229 253 1980
- Powell C. F. , Kastengren A. L. , Liu Z. , and Fezzaa K. The Effects of Diesel Injector Needle Motion on Spray Structure J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 133 2011 10.1115/1.4001073