This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of n-Butanol Diesel Fuel Blends on a Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
N-butanol is a promising alternative fuel which needs no engine modification when used as a blend with diesel. The miscibility of n-butanol with diesel is excellent in a wide range of blending ratios. N-butanol has high oxygen content and a comparable energy content, specific gravity and viscosity to that of diesel, which makes it attractive for diesel engines as an alternative fuel. An experimental investigation was conducted to assess the performance of a new generation passenger car with respect to power, fuel economy (FE) and mass emission using 5, 10 and 20 percent (by vol.) n-butanol blends with diesel (NB). Computer controlled DC motor driven chassis dynamometer, AVL AMA I60 mass emission measuring system and AVL FSN smoke meter were used for measuring wide open throttle (WOT) power, road load simulation (RLS) fuel economy, mass emissions and smoke in WOT and steady speed driving conditions.
The results indicated that the WOT power decreased with all blends of n-butanol in diesel. Vehicle specific fuel consumption (SFC) increased with increase of n-butanol fraction. The average steady speed fuel economy in the speed range of 40-80 kilometer per hour (kph) in RLS mode as well as driving cycle fuel economy has shown marginal reduction with all NB blends when compared with neat diesel. The New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) test results indicated that the carbon monoxide (CO), smoke and particulate matter (PM) decreased whereas hydrocarbon (HC) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emission increased with all NB blends. Therefore, considering the properties and performance of n-butanol with diesel, it can be a promising second generation alternative biofuel for diesel fuel with respect to vehicle performance and emissions reduction.
- Neeraj Mittal - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Pradeep Patanwal - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- M Sithananthan - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- M Subramanian - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Ajay Kumar Sehgal - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- R Suresh - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- B P Das - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
CitationMittal, N., Patanwal, P., Sithananthan, M., Subramanian, M. et al., "Experimental Investigation of n-Butanol Diesel Fuel Blends on a Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0903, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0903.
- All India Study on Sectoral Demand of Diesel and Petrol Petroleum Planning and Analysis Cell Govt. of India 2013
- Szwaja , S. , and Naber , J.D. Combustion of n-butanol in a spark-ignition IC engine Fuel 89 7 1573 1582 2010 10.1016/j.fuel.2009.08.043
- Laza T , Kecskes R , Bereczky A , Penninger A. Examination of burning process of regenerative liquid fuel and alcohol mixture in diesel engine Periodica Polytech Mech Eng 2006 50 1 11 29
- Ramey David E. Butanol: The Other Alternative Fuel Agricultural Biofuels: Technology, Sustainability and Profitability http://nabc.cals.cornell.edu/Publications/Reports/nabc_19/19_4_6_Ramey.pdf October 2014
- Dogan Oguzhan The influence of n-butanol/diesel fuel blends utilization on a small diesel engine performance and emission Fuel 90 2011 2467 2472 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.02.033
- Chen Zheng , Liu Jingping , Han Zhiyu , Du Biao et al. Study on performance and emission of a passenger-car diesel engine fueled with butanol diesel blends Energy 55 2013 638 646 10.1016/j.energy.2013.03.054
- Armas Octavio , García-Contreras Reyes , Ramos Ángel Pollutant emission from New European Driving Cycle with ethanol and butanol diesel blends Fuel Processing Technology 122 2014 64 71 10.1016/j.fuproc.2014.01.023
- Rakopoulos , D. C. , Rakopoulos , C. D. , Papagiannakis , R. G. , and Kyritsis , D. C. Combustion heat release analysis of ethanol or n-butanol diesel fuel blends in heavy-duty DI diesel engine Fuel 90 5 1855 1867 2011 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.12.003
- Yao Mingfa , Wang Hu , Zheng Zunqing , Yue Yan Experimental study of n-butanol additive and multi-injection on HD diesel engine performance and emission Fuel 89 2010 2191 2201 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.04.008
- Miers , S. , Carlson , R. , McConnell , S. , Ng , H. et al. Drive Cycle Analysis of Butanol/Diesel Blends in a Light-Duty Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2381 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2381
- Sakda T , Nuwong C , Subongkoj T Kiatkong S et al. Feasibility study of using high butanol -diesel blends in common rail engine The 23rd conference of the mechanical engineering network of Thailand, Chiang Mai Thailand Nov 4-7 2009 www.me.psu.ac/tsme/ME_nett23/topic/file/EACE-0113665.pdf
- Lujaji F. , Bereczky A. , Novak Cs. , Mbarawa M. Cetane Number and Thermal properties of Croton Oil, Biodiesel, 1-Butanol, and Diesel Blends Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering 2010 III June 30 July 2 2010 London, U.K