This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sensitivity Analysis of Partially Premixed Combustion (PPC) for Control Purposes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Partially Premixed Combustion (PPC) is a promising advanced combustion mode for future engines. In order to investigate the sensitivity of PPC to exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) rate, intake gas temperature, intake gas pressure, and injection timing, these parameters were swept individually at three different loads in a single cylinder diesel engine with gasoline-like fuel.
A factor of sensitivity was defined to indicate the combustion's controllability and sensitivity to inlet gas parameters and injection timings. Through analysis of experimental results, a control window of inlet gas parameters and injection timings is obtained at different loads in PPC mode from 5 bar to 10 bar IMEPg load at 1200 rpm.
To further study the PPC controllability with injection timing, main injection timing was adjusted to sustain steady combustion phasing subject to perturbation of inlet gas state. Experimental results show that the main injection timing can resist the interference of intake parameters and maintain constant combustion phasing. Injection timing control is a promising approach to maintain high engine efficiency and low emission levels during transient operation.
CitationYin, L., Ingesson, G., Shamun, S., Tunestal, P. et al., "Sensitivity Analysis of Partially Premixed Combustion (PPC) for Control Purposes," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0884, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0884.
- Bengtsson J. , Strandh P. , Johansson R. , Tunestål P. and Johansson B. Hybrid Control of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine Dynamics International Journal of Control 79 5 422 448 2006
- Bengtsson J. , Strandh P. , Johansson R. , Tunestål P. , and Johansson B. Hybrid Modelling of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine Dynamics-A Survey International Journal of Control 80 11 1814 1848 2007
- Kalghatgi , G. , Risberg , P. , and Ångström , H. Advantages of Fuels with High Resistance to Auto-ignition in Late-injection, Low-temperature, Compression Ignition Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3385 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3385
- Kalghatgi , G. , Risberg , P. , and Ångström , H. Partially Pre-Mixed Auto-Ignition of Gasoline to Attain Low Smoke and Low NOx at High Load in a Compression Ignition Engine and Comparison with a Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0006 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0006
- Hildingsson , L. , Kalghatgi , G. , Tait , N. , Johansson , B. et al. Fuel Octane Effects in the Partially Premixed Combustion Regime in Compression Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2648 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2648
- Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Operating a Heavy-Duty Direct-Injection Compression-Ignition Engine with Gasoline for Low Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1442 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1442
- Manente , V. , Tunestal , P. , Johansson , B. , and Cannella , W. Effects of Ethanol and Different Type of Gasoline Fuels on Partially Premixed Combustion from Low to High Load SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0871 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0871
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988 0-07-100499-8
- Tunestål , P. Estimation of the in-cylinder air/fuel ratio of an internal combustion engine by the use of pressure sensors Doctoral dissertation Department of Heat and Power Engineering, Lund University 2001 0282-1990
- Lakshminarayanan , P. A , Yogesh , A. Modelling Diesel Combustion Springer 978-90-481-3884-5 2009
- Widd , A. , Tunestal , P. , Akesson , J. , & Johansson , R. Single-zone Diesel PPC modeling for control American Control Conference (ACC) Montréal, Canada June 2012 5731 5736 IEEE
- Blom , D. , Karlsson , M. , Ekholm , K. , Tunestål , P. et al. HCCI Engine Modeling and Control using Conservation Principles SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0789 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0789
- Sang , W. , Cheng , W. , and Maria , A. The Nature of Heat Release in Gasoline PPCI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1295 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1295
- Manente , V. , Johansson , B. , Tunestal , P. , and Cannella , W. Influence of Inlet Pressure, EGR, Combustion Phasing, Speed and Pilot Ratio on High Load Gasoline Partially Premixed Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1471 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1471
- Lewander , M. , Ekholm , K. , Johansson , B. , Tunestål , P. et al. Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics with Focus on Partially Premixed Combustion in a Heavy Duty Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 1063 1074 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1658