This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cycle Resolved Combustion and Pre-Ignition Diagnostic Employing Ion Current in a PFI Boosted SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An ion current sensor is employed in a 4 cylinder production SI engine for combustion diagnosis during combustion process, knock, and low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) detection.
The results show that the ion current peak value and ion current peak phase have strong correlation with the cylinder pressure and pressure peak phase respectively. The COV of ion current integral value is greater than the COV of IMEP at the same operating condition. Results show that the ion current signal is sensitive to different lambdas. Using ion current signal, the knock in any given cylinder can be detected. Importantly, the ion sensor successfully detected the low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) about more than 20 °CA before spark ignition.
CitationTong, S., Li, H., Yang, Z., Deng, J. et al., "Cycle Resolved Combustion and Pre-Ignition Diagnostic Employing Ion Current in a PFI Boosted SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0881, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0881.
- Eriksson , L. , Nielsen , L. , and Glavenius , M. Closed Loop Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation SAE Technical Paper 970854 1997 10.4271/970854
- Eriksson , L. , Neilsen , L. Ionization Current Interpretation for Ignition Control in Internal Combustion Engines Control Engineering Practice 5 8 1107 1113
- Zhu , G. , Haskara , I. , and Winkelman , J. Stochastic Limit Control and Its Application to Knock Limit Control Using Ionization Feedback SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0018 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0018
- Cavina , N. , Moro , D. , Poggio , L. , Zecchetti , D. et al. Individual Cylinder Combustion Control Based on Real-Time Processing of Ion Current Signals SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1510 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1510
- VanDyne , E. A , Bruckmyer , C. , Wahl , A. M. , and Funaioli , A. E. Misfire Detection from Ionization Signal utilizing Smart Fire Plasma Ignition Technology 2000
- Ohashi , Y. , Koiwa , M. , Okamura , K. , and Ueda , A. The Application of Ionic Current Detection System for the Combustion Condition Control SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0550 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0550
- Qian-wang FAN , Li-guang LI , Jiang BIAN , Sun-yu TONG , Hai-feng LU , Jun-jie LIU Experimental on Ion Current Characteristics of Two-Stage Direct Injection Gasoline Engine Transactions of CSICE 30 2012 2
- Guang-yu DONG , Li-guang LI , Zhi-yong ZHANG , Zhi-jun WU , Zhi WANG GDI HCCI Combustion Detection UsingIon Sensing Technology Transactions of CSICE 29 2011 2
- Zhi-yong ZHANG , Cong-yue LI , Yin-bo CAO , Li-guang LI An Experimental Study of Re-Spark Ignition Control in Misfired Combustion Cycle Based on Ion Current Feedback Transactions of CSICE 30 2012 1
- Yinbo Cao , Yun Bai , Zhiyong Zhang , Jun Deng , Liguang Li HCCI Combustion Phase Closed Loop Control Based on Ion Current Journal of Combustion Science and Technology 19 2 Apr. 2013
- Bogin Gregory Jr. * , Chen Jyh-Yuan , Dibble Robert W. The effects of intake pressure, fuel concentration, and bias voltage on the detection of ions in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engine Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32 2009 2877 2884
- Mehresh P. , Souder J. , Flowers D. , Riedel U. , Dibble R.W. Combustion timing in HCCI engines determined by ion sensor: experimental and kinetic modeling Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 30 2005 2701 2709
- Jianxin WANG , Zhi WANG Research progress of high efficient and clean combustion of automotive gasoline engines J Automotive Safety and Energy 2010 1 3
- Jianxin WANG Technology progress in high efficiency gasoline engine for vehicle [J] Trans of Chinese Society for Internal Combustion Engine 2008 26 S 83 89
- Amann , M. , Alger , T. , and Mehta , D. The Effect of EGR on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 235 245 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0339
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355