This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Study on the Effects of Split Injection in Stoichiometric Dual-Fuel Compression Ignition (SDCI) Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Stoichiometric dual-fuel compression ignition (SDCI) combustion has superior potential in both emission control and thermal efficiency. Split injection of diesel reportedly shows superiority in optimizing combustion phase control and increasing flexibility in fuel selection. This study focuses on split injection strategies in SDCI mode. The effects of main injection timing and pilot-to-total ratio are examined. Combustion phasing is found to be retarded in split injection when overmixing occurs as a result of early main injection timing. Furthermore, an optimised split injection timing can avoid extremely high pressure rise rate without great loss in indicated thermal efficiency while maintaining soot emission at an acceptable level. A higher pilot-to-total ratio always results in lower soot emission, higher combustion efficiency, and relatively superior ITE, but improvements are not significant with increased pilot-to-total ratio up to approximately 0.65.
CitationMa, X., Liu, H., Li, Y., Wang, Z. et al., "An Experimental Study on the Effects of Split Injection in Stoichiometric Dual-Fuel Compression Ignition (SDCI) Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0847, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0847.
- Lounici , M. , Loubar , K. , Tazerout , M. , Balistrou , M. et al. Experimental Investigation on the Performance and Exhaust Emission of Biogas-Diesel Dual-Fuel Combustion in a CI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2689 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2689
- Soloiu , V. , Rivero-Castillo , A. , Muinos , M. , Duggan , M. et al. Simultaneous Reduction of NOX and Soot in a Diesel Engine through RCCI Operation with PFI of n-butanol and DI of Cottonseed Biodiesel SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1322 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1322
- Yu C. , Wang J. , Wang Z. et al. Comparative study on Gasoline Homogeneous Charge Induced Ignition (HCII) by diesel and Gasoline/Diesel Blend Fuels (GDBF) combustion Fuel 106 470 477 2013
- Yao M. , Zheng Z. , Liu H. Progress and recent trends in homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 35 5 398 437 2009
- Kobashi , Y. , Tanaka , D. , Maruko , T. , Kato , S. et al. Effects of Mixedness and Ignition Timings on PCCI Combustion with a Dual Fuel Operation SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1768 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1768
- Zhang , F. , Xu , H. , Zeraati Rezaei , S. , Kalghatgi , G. et al. Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a PPCI Engine Fuelled with Dieseline SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1138 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1138
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , Kaddatz , J. et al. Fuel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion in Light- and Heavy-Duty Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 360 374 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0357
- Curran , S. , Hanson , R. , and Wagner , R. Effect of E85 on RCCI Performance and Emissions on a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0376 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0376
- Alger , T. , Hanhe , S. , Roberts , C. , and Ryan , T. The Heavy Duty Gasoline Engine - A Multi-Cylinder Study of a High Efficiency, Low Emission Technology SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1135 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1135
- Duffour , F. , Ternel , C. , and Pagot , A. IFP Energies Nouvelles Approach for Dual Fuel Diesel-Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0065 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0065
- Splitter , D. , Hanson , R. , Kokjohn , S. , and Reitz , R. Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Heavy-Duty Engine Operation at Mid-and High-Loads with Conventional and Alternative Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0363 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0363
- Ma X. , Zhang F. , Xu H. et al. Throttleless and EGR-controlled stoichiometric combustion in a diesel-gasoline dual-fuel compression ignition engine Fuel 115 765 777 2014
- Ma , X. , Qi , Y. , Wang , Z. , Xu , H. et al. An Experimental Study of EGR-Controlled Stoichiometric Dual-fuel Compression Ignition (SDCI) Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1307 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1307
- Li , S. , Williams , F. , and Gebert , K. A Reduced Reaction Mechanism for Predicting Knock in Dual-Fuel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0957 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0957
- Selim M. Sensitivity of dual fuel engine combustion and knocking limits to gaseous fuel composition Energy Conversion and Management 45 411 425 2004
- Wang , B. , Shuai , S. , Yang , H. , Wang , Z. et al. Experimental Study of Multiple Premixed Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Heavy Naphtha for High Efficiency and Low Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2678 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2678
- Binde A. , Busch S. , Velji A. and Wagner U. Soot and NOx Reduction by Spatially Separated Pilot Injection SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 1242 1259 2012