This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cetane Number Determination by Advanced Fuel Ignition Delay Analysis in a New Constant Volume Combustion Chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new constant volume combustion chamber (CVCC) apparatus is presented that calculates the cetane number (CN) of fuels from their ignition delay by means of a primary reference fuel calibration. It offers the benefits of low fuel consumption, suitability for non-lubricating substances, accurate and fast measurements and a calibration by primary reference fuels (PRF). The injection system is derived from a modern common-rail passenger car engine.
The apparatus is capable of fuel injection pressures up to 1200 bar and requires only 40 ml of the test fuel. The constant volume combustion chamber can be heated up to 1000 K and pressurized up to 50 bar. Sample selection is fully automated for independent operation and low levels of operator involvement. Capillary tubes employed in the sampling system can be heated to allow the measurement of highly viscous fuels.
For primary reference fuel calibration, ignition delay times of six mixtures with defined CN in the range of 35 to 70 are measured and correlated to their CN using a mathematical best fit curve. First tests showed good correlation with conventionally determined engine CN for several diesel fuels.
Methanol and ethanol with a CN below 20 were measured using a special low-CN calibration and higher chamber temperature and pressure. Two oxygenates with a high CN above 100 were measured after mixing with a low-CN primary reference fuel. This blending CN method allows extrapolating the CN for samples above the calibrated measurement range.
CitationSeidenspinner, P., Härtl, M., Wilharm, T., and Wachtmeister, G., "Cetane Number Determination by Advanced Fuel Ignition Delay Analysis in a New Constant Volume Combustion Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0798, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0798.
- Kidoguchi, Y., Yang, C., Kato, R., and Miwa, K., “Effects of fuel cetane number and aromatics on combustion process and emissions of a direct-injection diesel engine,” JSAE Review 21(4):469-475, 2000, doi:10.1016/S0389-4304(00)00075-8.
- Yanowitz, J., Ratcliff, M.A., McCormick, R.L., Taylor, J.D. et al., “Compendium of Experimental Cetane Numbers: Technical Report NREL/TP-5400-61693,” National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2014.
- Yates, A., Viljoen, C., and Swarts, A., “Understanding the Relation Between Cetane Number and Combustion Bomb Ignition Delay Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2017, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2017.
- Ladommatos, N., Parsi, M., and Knowles, A., “The effect of fuel cetane improver on diesel pollutant emissions,” Fuel 75(1):8-14, 1996, doi:10.1016/0016-2361(94)00223-1.
- Ladommatos, N. and Goacher, J., “Equations for predicting the cetane number of diesel fuels from their physical properties,” Fuel 74(7):1083-1093, 1995, doi:10.1016/0016-2361(95)00040-C.
- ASTM International, “Test Method for Cetane Number of Diesel Fuel Oil,” D613, Rev. 2013.
- ASTM International, “Test Method for Determination of Ignition Delay and Derived Cetane Number (DCN) of Diesel Fuel Oils by Combustion in a Constant Volume Chamber,” Rev. 2013.
- Allard, L., Webster, G., Hole, N., Ryan, T. et al., “Diesel Fuel Ignition Quality as Determined in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT),” SAE Technical Paper 961182, 1996, doi:10.4271/961182.
- Allard, L., Hole, N., Webster, G., Ryan, T. et al., “Diesel Fuel Ignition Quality as Determined in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT) - Part II,” SAE Technical Paper 971636, 1997, doi:10.4271/971636.
- Allard, L., Webster, G., Ryan, T., Baker, G. et al., “Analysis of the Ignition Behaviour of the ASTM D-613 Primary Reference Fuels and Full Boiling Range Diesel Fuels in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT™) - Part III,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3591, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-3591.
- Allard, L., Webster, G., Ryan, T., Matheaus, A. et al., “Diesel Fuel Ignition Quality as Determined in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT™) - Part IV,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3527, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3527.
- ASTM International, “Test Method for Determination of Derived Cetane Number (DCN) of Diesel Fuel Oils--Ignition Delay and Combustion Delay Using a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber Method,” D7668, Rev. 2013.
- Lapuerta, M., Sanz-Argent, J., and Raine, R.R., “Ignition Characteristics of Diesel Fuel in a Constant Volume Bomb under Diesel-Like Conditions. Effect of the Operation Parameters,” Energy Fuels 28(8):5445-5454, 2014, doi:10.1021/ef500535j.
- Campbell, M.F., Wang, S., Goldenstein, C.S., Spearrin, R.M. et al., “Constrained reaction volume shock tube study of n-heptane oxidation: Ignition delay times and time-histories of multiple species and temperature,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.proci.2014.05.001.
- Vasu, S.S., Davidson, D.F., and Hanson, R.K., “Jet fuel ignition delay times: Shock tube experiments over wide conditions and surrogate model predictions,” Combustion and Flame 152(1-2):125-143, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2007.06.019.
- Werler, M., Cancino, L.R., Schiessl, R., Maas, U. et al., “Ignition delay times of diethyl ether measured in a high-pressure shock tube and a rapid compression machine,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.proci.2014.06.143.
- Li, Y., Jia, M., Liu, Y., and Xie, M., “Numerical study on the combustion and emission characteristics of a methanol/diesel reactivity controlled compression ignition (RCCI) engine,” Applied Energy 106:184-197, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.01.058.
- Murali Krishna M, V.S., Seshagiri Rao V, V.R., T, Reddy Kishen Kumar, and Murthy P, V.K., “Performance evaluation of medium grade low heat rejection diesel engine with carbureted methanol and crude jatropha oil,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 34:122-135, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2014.02.013.
- Wang, Q., Wei, L., Pan, W., and Yao, C., “Investigation of operating range in a methanol fumigated diesel engine,” Fuel 140:164-170, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2014.09.067.
- Li, R., Wang, Z., Ni, P., Zhao, Y. et al., “Effects of cetane number improvers on the performance of diesel engine fuelled with methanol/biodiesel blend,” Fuel 128:180-187, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2014.03.011.