This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vinyl Ester Based SMC Material for Automotive Oil Sump Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes vinyl ester based SMC (Sheet molding composite) material for oil sump part in automotive application. This sheet moulding composite is a ready to mould glass-fibre reinforced vinyl ester material primarily used in compression moulding process. This vinyl ester resin is compounded with glass fibre to meet the product functional requirements. Oil sump is a structural component under bonnet that forms the bottommost part of the crankcase and also contain the engine oil before and after it has been circulated through the engine. Generally, metals are preferred material for this application.
In this paper, fibre filled vinyl ester based thermoset resin (SMC) material has been explored for oil sump application. They possess excellent properties in terms of tensile strength, modulus, impact strength, dimensional stability, high/low temperature resistance and oil resistance. These oil sump parts were made by compression molding process and validated for the predefined key test metrics such as thermal ageing, oil compatibility, NVH and torque retention criteria's and the parts met the required specification.
The developed vinyl ester based SMC sump part has combined benefits of weight reduction leading to low emission, NVH improvement, corrosion resistance and cost reduction when compared with existing painted metal sump.
CitationKarthik, G., Balaji, K., Sivaraman, B., and Samar, D., "Vinyl Ester Based SMC Material for Automotive Oil Sump Application," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0718, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0718.
- Hamner, K., “Composite (SMC) Engine Components,” SAE Technical Paper 910588, 1991, doi:10.4271/910588.
- Reinker, J., “The Evolution of SMC in the Automotive Industry,” SAE Technical Paper 830356, 1983, doi:10.4271/830356.
- Massey, F., “Development of an Automotive SMC Door,” SAE Technical Paper 810743, 1981, doi:10.4271/810743.
- Dodyk, L., “High Performance SMC Composites,” SAE Technical Paper 900307, 1990, doi:10.4271/900307.
- Atkins, K., Seats, R., Rex, G., Reid, C. et al., “Flexible SMC for Vertical Body Panels: Two Approaches for Success,” SAE Technical Paper 930465, 1993, doi:10.4271/930465.
- Hiroshima, JP, “Oil Pan Integration” by Mazda Motor Corporation, US4770276 patent.
- Niwa Takao, Sato Yashushi, “Oils sump assembly” by Susono, US4134380 patent.
- Allen, R., “Quality in SMC Body Panels,” SAE Technical Paper 820223, 1982, doi:10.4271/820223.