This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Vehicle Pothole Test and Techniques Used
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During the service life, the impacts of vehicle against potholes result in damage for the wheel and suspension components. Knowing the internal forces generated in the suspension components during this event would helpful to design the critical components. Measurement of these loads in physical test is more costly and not feasible for new designs. There are several virtual tools and methods available to predict the loads during this event. Using the ABAQUS FE solver, the non-linear dynamic behavior could be captured accurately during the impact. The tire model plays an important role during this event by absorbing energy during the impact. The CAE tire model is validated with some physical tests results and it is used in the vehicle pothole impact simulation. In vehicle pothole physical test, the force and acceleration measurement are taken and compared with the CAE results. The effect of the tire pressure variations and the vehicle speed at pothole impact is also studied. This paper explains more about the modeling of tires, vehicle, simulation methodology and the correlation of the CAE results against the test values.
|Journal Article||Finite Element Modeling of Tire Transient Characteristics in Dynamic Maneuvers|
|Technical Paper||Road Load Simulation Using Effective Road Profile|
CitationK Billal, M., Carneiro, G., Ozelo, R., and Kulkarni, M., "Simulation of Vehicle Pothole Test and Techniques Used," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0637, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0637.
- Triche , E. , Beno , J. , Tims , H. , Worthington , M. et al. Shock Loading Experiments and Requirements for Electric Wheel Motors on Military Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0278 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0278
- Duni E , Monfrino G , Saponaro R , Caudano M and Urbinati F Numerical Simulation of Full Vehicle Dynamic Behaviour Based On The Interaction Between Abaqus/Standard And Explicit Codes Abaqus User Conference 2003
- K , M. , Oery , T. , Taruvai Sankaran , R. , and Nesarikar , A. Simulation and Test Correlation of Wheel Radial Fatigue Test SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1198 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1198
- Duni E , Toniato G , Saponaro R , and Simeriglio P Vehicle Fatigue Load Prediction based on Finite Element TIRE/ROAD Interaction implemented in an Integrated Implicit-Explicit Approach Abaqus User Conference 2008
- Yoon , J. and Kye , K. Suspension Abuse Test Simulation using Modal Stress Recovery SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0776 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0776
- ABAQUS User's Manual 6.13 Version 2013