This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Plane Flexible Ring Tire Model Development for Ride Comfort & Braking/Driving Performance Analysis under Straight-line Driving Condition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle tire performance is an important consideration for vehicle handling, stability, mobility, and ride comfort as well as durability. Significant efforts have been dedicated to tire modeling in the past, but there is still room to improve its accuracy. In this study, a detailed in-plane flexible ring tire model is proposed, where the tire belt is discretized, and each discrete belt segment is considered as a rigid body attached to a number of parallel tread blocks. The mass of each belt segment is accumulated at its geometric center. To test the proposed in-plane tire model, a full-vehicle model is integrated with the tire model for simulation under a special driving scenario: acceleration from rest for a few seconds, then deceleration for a few seconds on a flat-level road, and finally constant velocity on a rough road. The simulation results indicate that the tire model is able to generate tire/road contact patch forces that yield reasonable vehicle dynamic responses.
CitationLi, B., Yang, X., Zhang, Y., and Yang, J., "In-Plane Flexible Ring Tire Model Development for Ride Comfort & Braking/Driving Performance Analysis under Straight-line Driving Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0628, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0628.
- Eichler , M. 1997 A ride comfort tyre model for vibration analysis in full vehicle simulations Veh. Syst. Dyn. 27 109 122
- ISO 2631 1997 Mechanical vibration and shock-Evaluation of human exposure to whole-body vibration, part 1: general requirements International Standard
- Gallrein , A. , Baecker , M. , Burger , M. , and Gizatullin , A. An Advanced Flexible Realtime Tire Model and its Integration Into Fraunhofer's Driving Simulator SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0861 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0861
- Gipser , M. 2005 FTire: a physically based application-oriented tyre model for use with detailed MBS and finite-element suspension models Veh. Syst. Dyn. 37 41
- Gong , S. 1993 A study of In-Plane Dynamics of Tires PhD Disertation Technical University of Delft
- Kao , B. G. , and Muthukrishnan , M. Tire transient analysis with an explicit finite element program Tire Sci. Technol. 25 4 230 244 1997
- Lugner , P. , Pacejka , H. and Plöchl , M. 2005 Recent advances in tyre models and testing procedures Veh. Syst. Dyn. 43 413 426
- Li , B. , Yang , X. , and Yang , J. Tire Model Application and Parameter Identification-A Literature Review SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7 1 231 243 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0872
- Li , B. , Li , N. , Yang X. and Yang , J. 2014b In-plane rigid ring-based tire model: parameter identification, sensitivity analysis, and effect on ride comfort ASME DETC Buffalo, NY August 17 21 2014
- Kruczek , A. and Stribrsky , A. 2004 A full-car model for active suspension-some practical aspects Proceedings of the IEEE international Conference on Mechatronics (ICM) June 3 5 2004
- Negrus , E. , Anghelache , G. , and Stanescu , A. Finite element analysis and experimental analysis of natural frequencies and mode shapes for a non-rotating tyre Veh. Syst. Dyn. Supplement 221 224 1997
- Oertel , C. , Fandre A 1999 Ride comfort simulations and steps towards life time calculations: RMOD-K and ADAMS Proceedings of the International ADAMS Users Conference Berlin, Germany
- Schmeitz 2004 A semi-empirical three-dimensional model of the pneumatic tyre rolling over arbitrarily uneven road surfaces PhD Dissertation Technical University of Delft
- Sugiyama , H. and Suda , Y. 2007 Modeling nonlinear flexible tire belt in the study of in-plane tire dynamics ASME DETC Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Sept. 4 7 2007
- Takagi , R. and Takanari , S. Tire Structural Parameter Analysis for Road Noise Using an Accurate FEM Model SAE Technical Paper 911873 1991 10.4271/911873
- Umsrithong , A. 2012 Deterministic and stochastic semi-empirical transient tire models PhD Dissertation Virginia Tech.
- Wong , J. Theory of Ground Vehicles John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2001
- Yang , X. , Medepalli , S. 2009 Comfort and Durability Tire Model Validation Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA 37 4 October December 2009 302 322
- Zegelaar , P. and Pacejka , H. 1996 The in-plane dynamics of tyres on uneven roads Veh. Syst. Dyn. 25 1 714 730