This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation on the Fatigue Behavior of Balanced and Unbalanced Epoxy-Aluminum Single Lap Joints
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The fatigue strength and failure behavior of A5754-O adhesively bonded single lap joints by a hot-curing epoxy adhesive were investigated in this paper. The single lap joints tested include balanced substrate joints (meaning same thickness) and unbalanced substrate joints, involving combinations of different substrate thicknesses. Cyclic fatigue test results show that the fatigue strength of bonded joints increase with the increasing substrate thickness. SEM and Energy Dispersive X-ray (EDX) were employed to investigate the failure mode of the joints. Two fatigue failure modes, substrate failure and failure within the adhesive were found in the testing. The failure mode of the joint changes from cohesive failure to substrate failure as the axial load is decreased, which reveals a fatigue resistance competition between the adhesive layer and the aluminum substrate.
CitationChen, Q., Guo, H., Lasecki, J., Hill, J. et al., "An Investigation on the Fatigue Behavior of Balanced and Unbalanced Epoxy-Aluminum Single Lap Joints," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0551, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0551.
- Kinloch A. J. , Little M. S. G. And Watts J. F. The Role of the Interphase in the Environmental Failure of Adhesive Joints Acta mater 48 18-19 4543 4553 2000 10.1016/S1359-6454(00)00240-8
- Kinloch A. J. Toughening Epoxy Adhesives to Meet Today's Challenges MRS Bulletin 28 06 445 448 2003 10.1557/mrs2003.126
- Abdel Wahab M. M. Fatigue in Adhesively Bonded Joints: A Review Materials Science 11 25 2012 10.5402/2012/746308
- Crocombe A.D. , Richardson G. Assessing Stress State and Mean Load Effects on the Fatigue Response of Adhesively Bonded Joints International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 19 1 19 27 1999 10.1016/S0143-7496(98)00049-9
- Katnam K. B. , Crocombe A. D. , Khoramishad H. et al. Load Ratio Effect on the Fatigue Behaviour of Adhesively Bonded Joints: An Enhanced Damage Model Journal of Adhesion 86 3 257 272 2010 10.1080/00218460903462632
- Davies P. , Sohier L. , Cognard J.Y. et al. Influence of adhesive bond line thickness on joint strength International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 29 7 724 736 2009 10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2009.03.002
- Azaria S. , Papinib M. , Spelta J.K. Effect of adhesive thickness on fatigue and fracture of toughened epoxy joints-Part I: Experiments Engineering Fracture Mechanics 78 1 153 162 2011 10.1016/j.engfracmech.2010.06.025
- Kinloch A. J. Anthony. Adhesion and Adhesives Publication, Springer 1987
- Da Costa Mattos H. S. , Monteiro A. H. , and Palazzetti R. Failure analysis of adhesively bonded joints in composite materials Materials & Design 33 242 247 2012 10.1016/j.matdes.2011.07.031
- Mazumdar S. K. and Mallick P. K. Static and fatigue behavior of adhesive joints in SMC-SMC composites Polymer Composites 19 2 139 146 1998 10.1002/pc.10084
- Mangalgiri , P.D. , Johnson , W.S. and Everett R.A. Jr. Effect of adherend thickness and mixed mode loading on debond growth in adhesively bonded composite joints J. Adhesison 23 263 288 10.1080/00218468708075410
- ASTM D-1002-01: Standard Test Method for Apparent Shear Strength of Single-Lap-Joint Adhesively Bonded Metal Specimens by Tension Loading (Metal-to-Metal)
- ASTM D-3166-99: Standard Test Method for Fatigue Properties of Adhesives in Shear by Tension Loading (Metal/Metal)
- Kinloch , A. J. and Osiyemi , S.O. Predicting the fatigue life of adhesively-bonded joints Journal of Adhesion 43 1-2 79 90 1993 10.1080/00218469308026589
- Jethwa J.K. The fatigue performance of adhesively-bonded metel joints Thesis of Doctoral Degree University of London December 1995
- Solana A. G. , Crocombe A. D. , Abdel Wahab M. M. , and Ashcroft I. A. Fatigue initiation in adhesively-bonded single-lap joints Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 21 14 1343 1357 2007 10.1163/156856107782313629