This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Bearing Endurance Life Prediction Method Considering the Bearing Dynamic Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A rotating bearing must have an excellent durability life. Various studies have been conducted for a long time to predict the bearing durability life. However, the bearing durability life has been predicted by an analytic formula in terms of the raceway and ball. A finite element structural analysis has been carried out for a flange, commonly with an assumption of a static load. So it is difficult to consider the dynamic effects (Centrifugal force, Gyroscope effect) of the bearing, which is very important due to its high speed operation.
In order to predict the accurate bearing durability life, the dynamic effects must be considered. This paper proposes a method for bearing durability life prediction, considering dynamic effects. Contact between the raceway and ball is one of the important factors to take into account for the dynamic effects of the bearing. General surface to surface contact method is not appropriate for the bearing analysis because it produces a noisy and spiky contact force. This research develops a specialized contact algorithm for a bearing analysis to efficiently obtain the dynamic load which is a key factor to predict the accurate bearing durability life. The contact forces obtained from the algorithm is used to predict the bearing durability life.
The bearing durability life obtained from the proposed research is compared with this obtained from the analytic formula and static load by using DAFUL (a commercial structural dynamics software). Also several case studies have been carried by setting up scenarios to predict the bearing durability life.
|Journal Article||Analysis of Failure Modes of Bearing Outer Race Rotation|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Space Suit Mobility Bearings Using the Finite Element Method|
|Technical Paper||The Influence of Bearing Run-In on Lambda Calculations|
CitationSeong, S., Kim, W., Bae, D., Lee, S. et al., "A Bearing Endurance Life Prediction Method Considering the Bearing Dynamic Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0494, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0494.
- Harris Tedric A., Kotzalas Michael N., “Rolling Bearing Analysis”, Taylor & Francis, LLC 2006
- Yoon Kichan, Choi Donghoon, “A Design of an Automotive Wheel Bearing Unit for Long Life”, KSME 2000, Vol. 24, pp. 319∼328
- Kim Gihoon, “Study on the Durability Evaluation and Analysis Techniques of Wheel Bearing Hub Unit for Passenger Car” Korea University 2001
- Ricci M C, “Internal Loading Distribution in Statically Loaded Ball Bearings Subjected to a Combined Radial Thrust and Moment Load”, 60th International Astronautical Congress 2009, ISSN 1995-6258
- Ricci M C, “Static Load Distribution in Ball Bearings”, NASA 2010, CP-2010-216272
- Bae Daesung, Lee Chulho, Lee Sangho, “An Efficient Dynamics Analysis Using a Parametric Generalized Coordinate”, KSME 2008, pp. 69∼74
- Lee Junhyeng, Bae Daesung, Lee Seungpyo, Cho younggeol, Kim Wangoo, Seong Sulki, “Prediction of Flange Fatigue by Using Structural Dynamics Model of Automotive Wheel Bearing” ISSN 1464-1504 2014 KSAE pp. 1108∼1108
- DAFUL 5.0 Preprocessor Manual