This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Representative Interactive Linear Eddy Model (RILEM) for Non-Premixed Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To further improve the efficiency and emissions profiles of internal combustion engines, many new combustion concepts are currently being investigated. Examples include homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI), stratified charge compression ignition (SCCI), lean stratified premixed combustion, and the use of high levels of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) in diesel engines. The typical combustion temperatures in all of these concepts are lower than those in traditional spark ignition or diesel engines.
Most of the combustion models that are currently used in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations were developed to describe either premixed or non-premixed combustion under the assumption of fast chemistry. The refinement of existing combustion concepts for highly efficient clean engines and the development of new ones would be greatly facilitated by the introduction of new computational tools and combustion models that are mode- and regime-independent, i.e. capable of modeling both premixed and non-premixed and also fast and non-fast chemistry. Such tools should enable more accurate simulation of combustion under non-standard conditions such as those established during low temperature combustion.
This paper presents a new regime-independent combustion modeling strategy for non-premixed combustion in which the linear eddy model (LEM) is used as a representative interactive regime-independent turbulent combustion model and coupled to a 3D CFD solver. Parameters and boundary conditions that determine the evolution of the LEM are supplied by the 3D CFD calculation and updated at each time step. The LEM is then solved for the corresponding time step, providing the 3D CFD code with an updated composition state.
This new representative interactive linear eddy model (RILEM) is used to simulate an n-heptane spray, demonstrating some potential to describe spray combustion processes.
CitationLackmann, T., Kerstein, A., and Oevermann, M., "A Representative Interactive Linear Eddy Model (RILEM) for Non-Premixed Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0390, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0390.
- Kerstein A.R. One-dimensional turbulence: model formulation and application to homogeneous turbulence, shear flows, and buoyant stratified flows J. Fluid Mech. 392 277 334 1999
- Lignell D. O. , Kerstein A. R. , Sun G. , Monson E. I. Mesh adaption for efficient multiscale implementation of one-dimensional turbulence Theor. Comput. Fluid Dyn. 27 3-4 273 295 2013
- Kosters , A. , Golovitchev , V. , and Karlsson , A. , A Numerical Study of the Effect of EGR on Flame Lift-off in n-Heptane Sprays Using a Novel PaSR Model Implemented in OpenFOAM, SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 2 604 610 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0153
- Smith T. M. , Menon S. One-dimensional simulations of freely propagating turbulent premixed flames Combustion Science and Technology 128 99 130 1997
- Goodwin D. Cantera: An object-oriented software toolkit for chemical kinetics, thermodynamics, and transport processes http://code/google.com/p/cantera
- Maroteaux F. , Noel L. Development of a reduced n-heptane oxidation mechanism for HCCI combustion modeling Combustion and Flame 146 246 267 2006
- Echekki , T. , Turbulent Combustion Modeling, chapter The emerging Role of Multiscale Methods in Turbulent Combustion 177 192 Springer 2011
- El-Asrag , H. , and Menon , S. Large eddy simulation of soot formation in a turbulent non-premixed jet flame, Combustion and Flame 156 385 395 2009
- El-Asrag , H. , Lu , T. , Law , C. K. , and Menon , S. , Simulation of soot formation in turbulent non-premixed flames Combustion and Flame 150 108 126 2007
- Kerstein , A. R. , Linear eddy modeling of turbulent transport and mixing, Combustion Science and Technology 60 391 421 1988
- Kerstein , A.R. , Linear-eddy modeling of turbulent transport. II: Application to shear layer mixing, Combustion and Flame 75 397 413 1989
- Kerstein , A.R. , Linear-eddy modeling of turbulent transport. Part 6. Microstructure of diffusive scalar mixing, Journal of Fluid dynamics 240 289 313 1992
- Kerstein , A.R. , Linear-eddy modeling of turbulent transport. Part 7. Finite-rate chemistry and multi-stream mixing, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 240 289 313 1992
- Kerstein , A.R. , Linear-eddy modeling of turbulent transport. Part 4. Structure of diffusion flames, Combustion Science and Technology 81 75 96 1992
- Klein , R. , Numerics in Combustion, Vervisch L. Veynante D. , Introduction to Turbulent Combustion Brussels, Belgium January 6 9 1999 Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics
- Meyer , D. W. , and Jenny , P. , A mixing model for turbulent flows based on parametrized scalar profiles, Physics of Fluids 18 035105 2006
- Oevermann , M. , Schmidt , H. , and Kerstein A. R. , Linear eddy modeling of auto ignition under HCCI conditions, Combustion and Flame 155 370 379 2008
- Patel , N. , and Menon S. , Simulation of spray-turbulence-flame interactions in a lean direct injection, Combustion and Flame 155 228 257 2008
- Pitsch H. , Chen , M. , and Peters N. , Unsteady flamelet modeling of turbulent hydrogen-air diffusion flames, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 1057 1064 1998
- Sankaran V. , and Menon S. Subgrid combustion modeling of 3-d premixed flames in the thin-reaction-zone regime, In Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 30 575 582 2005
- Sen B. A. , Linear eddy mixing based tabulation and artificial neural networks for large eddy simulation of turbulent flames, Combustion and Flame 157 62 74 2010
- Sen B. A. , and Menon S. , Large eddy simulation of extinction and reignition with artificial neural networks based chemical kinetics, Combustion and Flame 157 566 578 2010
- Some , K. , and Menon S. , Effect of subgrid modeling on the in-cylinder unsteady mixing process in a direct injection engine, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 125 435 443 2003
- Steeper , R. , Sankaran , V. , Oefelein , J. , and Hessel , R. , Simulation of the Effect of Spatial Fuel Distribution Using a Linear-Eddy Model, SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4131 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4131
- Pitsch , H. , Wan , Y. , and Peters , N. , Numerical Investigation of Soot Formation and Oxidation Under Diesel Engine Conditions, SAE Technical Paper 952357 1995 10.4271/952357
- Wakuri , Y. , Fujii , M. Amitani , T. , Tsuneya R. , Studies on the Penetration of Fuel Spray in a Diesel Engine, Bulletin of J.S.M.E. 3 9 1960
- Ciezki , H. K. , Adomeit , G. , Shock tube investigation of Self-Ignition of n-heptane-air Mixtures under engine relevant Conditions, Combustion and Flame 93 421 433 1993