This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Challenges in Managing ISO 26262 Software Development Projects
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Managing ISO 26262 software development projects is a challenging task. This paper discusses major challenges in managing safety-critical projects from a high-level perspective, i.e. from a manager's point of view. We address managers (directors) with full project responsibility including software and hardware teams. Rather than discussing how to fulfill (technical) requirements stated by the ISO standard, we highlight major challenges and tough decisions a manager has to face on her way from project start up to delivery of the safety case.
We discuss important project management topics and best practices such as negotiation issues with the contractor (OEM), selection of the appropriate functional safety manager, general ISO 262626-related project management matters, as well as contractual issues with supplier such as development interface agreement. We discuss the topics on the basis of real-life experience we collected during several ISO 26262 management projects.
CitationStürmer, I., Doerr, H., and End, T., "Challenges in Managing ISO 26262 Software Development Projects," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0278, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0278.
- INTERNATIONAL STANDARD ISO 26262-6 First 2011 11 15 Road vehicles - Functional safety, Part 6: Product development at the software level, Ref. number ISO 26262-6:2011(E)
- INTERNATIONAL STANDARD ISO 26262-8 First 2011 11 15 Road vehicles - Functional safety, Part 8: Supporting processes, Ref. number ISO 26262-8:2011(E)
- INTERNATIONAL STANDARD ISO 26262-10 First 2011 11 15 Road vehicles - Functional safety, Part 10: Guideline on ISO 26262, Ref. number ISO 26262-10:2011(E)
- MISRA AC SLSF: Modelling design and style guidelines for the application of Simulink and Stateflow 978-906400-07-1 May 2009
- Stürmer , I. , Pohlheim , H. , Rogier , T. Calculation and Visualization of Model Complexity in Model-based Design of Safety-related Software Keller , B. et. al. Automotive - Safety & Security Shaker 69 82 2010
- Stuermer , I. , Eisemann , U. , and Salecker , E. Distributed Development of Large-Scale Model-Based Designs in Compliance with ISO 26262 SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0313 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0313
- Stürmer , I. , Stamatov , S. , and Eisemann , U. Automated Checking of MISRA TargetLink and AUTOSAR Guidelines SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 2 1 68 76 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0267