This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using Fault Injection to Verify an AUTOSAR Application According to the ISO 26262
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The complexity and the criticality of automotive electronic embedded systems are steadily increasing today, and that is particularly the case for software development. The new ISO 26262 standard for functional safety is one of the answers to these challenges. The ISO 26262 defines requirements on the development process in order to ensure the safety. Among these requirements, fault injection (FI) is introduced as a dedicated technique to assess the effectiveness of safety mechanisms and demonstrate the correct implementation of the safety requirements.
Our work aims at developing an approach that will help integrate FI in the whole development process in a continuous way, from system requirements to the verification and validation phase. This leads us to explore the benefits of safety analyses (Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Critical Path Analysis (CPA) or Freedom From Interference (FFI) Analysis, etc.) for the definition of the test plan, defining efficient FI tests cases.
The paper discusses the objectives and role of FI in the Verification and Validation process. It also illustrates how to apply this methodology on a platform based on AUTOSAR 4.X that integrates a trusted Front-Light Manager Application (Automotive Safety Integrity Level - ASIL B) and a non-trusted (Quality Management - QM) application. This proposed architecture allows ensuring the safety requirements with dedicated safety mechanisms and also FFI using both temporal and spatial partitioning. Finally, the results of FI test cases obtained on a mock-up running the Front-Light Manager Application, developed at Valeo GEEDS are presented.
CitationPintard, L., Leeman, M., Ymlahi-Ouazzani, A., Fabre, J. et al., "Using Fault Injection to Verify an AUTOSAR Application According to the ISO 26262," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0272, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0272.
- ISO 26262 - Road Vehicles - Functional Safety 10 November 2011 http://www.iso.org/iso/home/news index/news archive/news.htm?refid=Ref1499 30 Jul 2014
- Pintard L. , Fabre J.C. , Leeman M. , Kanoun K. , Roy M. From Safety Analyses to Experimental Validation of Automotive Embedded Systems Dependable Computing (PRDC), 2014 IEEE 20th Pacific Rim International Symposium on 125 134 18-21 Nov. 2014 10.1109/PRDC.2014.23
- Hsueh M. , Tsai T. , and Iyer R. Fault injection techniques and tools Computer 30 4 75 82 1997
- Yuste P. , de Andres D. , Lemus L. , Serrano J. , and Gil P. Inerte: integrated nexus-based real-time fault injection tool for embedded systems Dependable Systems and Networks, 2003. Proceedings. 2003 International Conference on 669 669 2003
- Skarin D. , Barbosa R. , Karlsson J. GOOFI-2: A tool for experimental dependability assessment Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN) 2010 557 562
- Giuffrida , C. , Kuijsten , A. , Tanenbaum , A.S. 2013 EDFI: A Dependable Fault Injection Tool for Dependability Benchmarking Experiments, Dependable Computing (PRDC) 2013 IEEE 19 th Pacific Rim Int. Symp. on 31 40
- Silva N. , Barbosa R. , Cunha J.C. , Vieira M. A view on the past and future of fault injection Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), 2013 43 rd Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on 1 2 24-27 June 2013 10.1109/DSN.2013.6575332
- Ayatolahi F. , Sangchoolie B. , Johansson R. , and Karlsson J. A study of the impact of single bit-flip and double bit-flip errors on program execution Computer Safety, Reliability, and Security Bitsch F. , Guiochet J. , and Kaaniche M. 8153 Lecture Notes in Computer Science 265 276 Springer Berlin Heidelberg 2013
- Islam , M. M. , Karunakaran , N. M. , Haraldsson , J. , Bernin , F. , & Karlsson , J. 2014 May Binary-Level Fault Injection for AUTOSAR Systems (Short Paper) Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC), 2014 Tenth European 138 141 IEEE
- Arlat J. , Aguera M. , Amat L. , Crouzet Y. , Fabre J. , Laprie J. , Martins E. , and Powell D. Fault injection for dependability validation: A methodology and some applications IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering 16 2 166 182 1990
- Datasheet SPC56EL70 32-bit Power Architecture® microcontroller for automotive SIL3/ASILD chassis and safety applications DocID023953 Rev 4 October 2013
- AUTOSAR Development Cooperation http://www.autosar.org 30 Jul 2014
- AUTOSAR Specification of Operating System V5.3.0 R4.1 Rev 3 https://www.autosar.org/fileadmin/files/releases/4-1/software-architecture/system-services/standard/AUTOSAR_SWS_OS.pdf 30 Jul 2014
- AUTOSAR Specification of Watchdog Manager V2.2.0 R4.0 Rev 3 https://www.autosar.org/fileadmin/files/releases/4-1/software-architecture/system-services/standard/AUTOSAR_SWS_WatchdogManager.pdf 30 Jul 2014
- Trawczynski D. , Sosnowski J. , Gawkowski P. Analyzing fault susceptibility of ABS microcontroller Computer Safety, Reliability, and Security Springer 2008 360 372