This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Software Parallelization in Automotive Multi-Core Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the context of the ARAMiS project, AUDI AG contributed the development of a multi-core demonstrator based on car functions already in production. For this demonstrator, these legacy car functions were ported from single-core platforms to a multi-core platform to gain real world close-to-production experience while utilizing the new technology.
For complex functions with high demands for computational resources, it may be necessary to distribute computation over several cores. In this context, we investigated the parallelization of a legacy sequential AUTOSAR function. A main contribution of this work is an analysis of mechanisms provided by AUTOSAR, their limitations and, possible remedy.
This paper will point out observations and experiences during the development of this demonstrator and show practical solutions for parallelization in an AUTOSAR environment.
In our work, we analyze a sequential algorithm of an automotive chassis function and identify independent computations for a distribution of the algorithm onto two cores of a multi-core microcontroller. We consider two distributions of the parallel work load. Our results emphasize that parallelization is a complex task and in the context of real time applications implies additional requirements for the schedule design. Furthermore, optimizing speedup requires a fine tuning of timing as well as workload distribution.
If the schedule and workload is optimized accordingly, optimal speedup was obtained for the system under consideration, while another schedule-configuration resulted in speeding down the overall computation.
|Technical Paper||Object-Oriented Software Technology for Body Electronics Applications|
|Technical Paper||A New Environment for Integrated Development and Management of ECU Tests|
CitationSchneider, R., Juergens, D., and Kohn, A., "Software Parallelization in Automotive Multi-Core Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0189, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0189.
- Scheidemann , K. , Knapp , M. and Stellwag , C. Load-Balancing in AUTOSAR-Multicore-Systemen Elektronik automotive 3.2010
- Whitepaper TriCore V1.6 Core Architecture User Manual 1 Infineon Technologies AG 2012
- Whitepaper TriCore V1.6 Instruction Set User Manual 2 Infineon Technologies AG 2012
- AUTOSAR Specification Release 4.2.1
- Bohn , M. , Schneider , J. , Eltges , C. , Rößger , R. Migration von AUTOSAR-basierten Echtzeitanwendungen auf Multicore-Systeme 4 Workshop zuverlässiger Software-Systeme der Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. Fachgruppe ADA 2011
- Schneider , J. , Bohn , M. , Rößger , R. Migration of Automotive Real-Time Software to Multicore Systems: First Steps towards an Automated Solution Proceedings Work-In-Progress Session of the 22th ECRTS July 6 9 2010 37 40
- Kuhn , T. , Barkowski , D. , Kalmar , R. Software-Parallelisierung für Multicore-Hardware 2011
- Panic , M. , Kehr , S. , Quinones , E. , Boeddeker , B. , Abella , J. , Cazorla F.J. RunPar: An allocation algorithm for automotive applications exploiting runnable parallelism in multicores Hardware/Software Codesign and System Synthesis (CODES+ ISSS), 2014 International Conference on IEEE 2014
- Faragardi , H.R. , Lisper , B. , Nolte , T. Towards a communication-efficient mapping of AUTOSAR runnables on multi-cores Emerging Technologies & Factory Automation (ETFA), 2013 IEEE 18th Conference on IEEE 2013
- Faragardi , H.R. , Lisper , B. , Sandström , K. , Nolte , T. An Efficient Scheduling of AUTOSAR Runnables to Minimize Communication Cost in Multi-core Systems 7 th International Symposium on Telecommunications (IST 2014) 2014
- Faragardi , H.R. , Lisper , B. , Sandström , K. , Nolte , T. A Communication-Aware Solution Framework for Mapping AUTOSAR Runnables on Multi-core Systems 19 th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation 2014