This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CAE Analysis, Optimization and Fabrication of Formula SAE Vehicle Structure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Suspension and chassis play a vital role in the structural performance of a Formula SAE vehicle. This paper focuses on CAE modeling and simulation study of the FSAE vehicle structure to analyze and improve its characteristics; and also the fabrication of the structure. This has been done for the current vehicle prepared according to 2014 Formula SAE rules; as part of Thapar University (TU) Formula student team - Team Fateh.
The study started with Multi Body Dynamic (MBD) model building of front and rear suspension system using ADAMS/Car and Finite Element (FE) model building of space frame type chassis using HyperMesh for the current (2014) and previous (2011 and 2012) TU FSAE vehicles.
The MBD model was used for carrying out kinematic analysis (suspension wheel travel) to calculate and analyze the roll centers using Design of Experiments (DOE) study. The FE model was used for determination of mode shapes, natural frequencies and for calculating chassis stiffness; by carrying out the normal modes and linear static analysis. Further, the variation of torsion stiffness along length of chassis was also studied.
As roll center and torsion stiffness are the most important quantifiable aspects to the suspension and chassis (respectively) of a race car, their evaluation at subsystem level is essential to analyze the performance of the FSAE vehicle. Design changes were made in the 2014 vehicle structure to increase chassis torsion, lateral and vertical bending stiffness; and reduce suspension roll center movement. The improvement in current vehicle structure characteristics over previous ones has been summarized.
Further, the topology optimization carried out (using input loads from MBD analysis) on 2014 vehicle components like suspension uprights and chassis bulkhead and the resultant weight reduction has been described.
Finally, the fabrication of final design of the frame has been carried out and presented as part of TU FSAE 2014 vehicle structure development.
CitationKakria, S. and Singh, D., "CAE Analysis, Optimization and Fabrication of Formula SAE Vehicle Structure," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0072, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0072.
- Gaffney , E. and Salinas , A. Introduction to Formula SAE® Suspension and Frame Design SAE Technical Paper 971584 1997 10.4271/971584
- Thompson , L. , Raju , S. , and Law , E. Design of a Winston Cup Chassis for Torsional Stiffness SAE Technical Paper 983053 1998 10.4271/983053
- Jawad , B. and Baumann , J. Design of Formula SAE Suspension SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3310 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3310
- Mueller , R. L. Full Vehicle Dynamics Model of a Formula SAE Racecar Using ADAMS/Car Master's Thesis 2005 Texas A&M University
- Fornace , L. Weight Reduction Techniques Applied to Formula SAE Vehicle Design: An Investigation in Topology Optimization Master's Thesis 2006 University of California San Diego
- Wickenden , P. and Stobart , R. An Evaluation of Formula SAE in the Context of the UK Engineering Education: Culture, Money and Space SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1051 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1051
- Riordan , C. , Tovar , A. , and Renaud , J. Topology Optimization of a Formula SAE Upright Using OptiStruct SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0396 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0396
- Olason , A. and Tidman , D. Methodology for Topology and Shape Optimization in the Design Process Master's Thesis 2010 Chalmers University of Technology Goteborg, Sweden
- Terakawa , K. and Watanabe , K. Development Process of a Formula SAE Chassis SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0656 2011
- Jiang , L. , Wang , G. , Gong , G. and Zhang , R. Lightweight Design for a FSC Car based on Modal and Stiffness Analysis FISITA Technical Paper F2012-E09-012 2012 10.1007/978-3-642-33738-3_6
- Kakria , S. , SriHarsha , I. , and Wagh , M. Modeling and Simulation Study of BAJA SAEINDIA All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Using Integrated MBD-FEA Approach SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0219 2015 10.4271/2015-26-0219
- Formula SAE® rules 2011, 2012 and 2014, SAE International
- Smith , C. Tune to Win: The Art and Science of Race Car Development and Tuning Aero Publishers, Inc Fallbrook, CA, USA 1978 0-87938-071-3
- Milliken , W. and Milliken , D. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1995 978-1-56091-526-3
- Team Fateh www.teamfateh.com
- MSC Software 2011 Documentation and User Guide
- Altair HyperWorks 11.0 Help and Documentation