This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Efficiency on Chassis Dynamometer Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays, due to the global warming questions related to CO2 emissions, many countries legislation lead automotive and fuel industries to search for higher efficiencies in their products. Therefore, new engine technologies and cleaner fuels are being developed and launched in the market.
This paper presents a study of efficiencies on chassis dynamometer tests, in order to evaluate vehicle and fuel contributions.
Tests were performed using one Brazilian flex fuel vehicle in full load condition at constant speeds to evaluate the losses of each part of the system, such as, wheel, air resistance and powertrain. The vehicle energy parcels were determined. So, it was possible to assess vehicles mechanical losses, aerodynamic losses and also the engine efficiencies.
CitationVillela, A., Botero, S., and Machado, G., "Vehicle Efficiency on Chassis Dynamometer Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0263, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-36-0263.
- Lin . H et al Seal Friction Effect on Drive Axle Efficiency SAE Paper 2005-01-3779 2005
- Wolf , T. Energy Efficiency Equipped Solutions For Driveline Applications - A Contribution To Sustainability And Reduction CO 2 Emission SAE Paper 2009-36-0199 2009
- Sandoval , D. and Heywood J. An Improved Friction Model for Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Paper 2003-01-0725 2003
- Wu , W. and Ross , M. Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel Consumption Modeling SAE Paper 1999-01-0554 1999
- Nozawa , R. , Morita , Y. and Shimizu , M. Effects of Engine Downsizing on Friction Losses and Fuel Economy Tribology International 27 1 1994
- Hoshi , M. Reducing Friction Losses In Automobile Engines Tribology International 17 4 1984
- Wordley , S. and Saunders , J. Aerodynamics for Formula SAE: Initial Design and Performance Prediction SAE Paper 2006-01-0806 2006