This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Low Friction Engine Coating Applied to a 70cc High Performance Chainsaw
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 11, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Present two stroke engines used for hand held power tools must confirm to prevailing emission legislation. A fact is that today the engines have to be run at leaner air fuel setting resulting in less amount of lubrication oil passing through the engine. This lean mixture combined with high mixture trapping efficiency also affects the combustion, raising the overall working temperature of the engine. So to gain more robustness out of these air-cooled power heads one viable route is to use different coatings to take control of tribology and heat management within the two stroke power head.
In this paper a first discussion and description of the different coatings and their merits to the air cooled two stroke engine is conducted. Furthermore engine data for the test engine, in this case a 70cc professional chainsaw are presented. The outcome of engine dyno testing of the different coatings are presented and analyzed for further discussion.
Conclusion, there are positive effects on the two-stroke power head by introducing new advanced engine coatings, to achieve the most out of the coatings this must be taken into account during the first design of the engine. Also the economic impact on the final products has to be considered for market competitiveness.
|Technical Paper||Load and Lubricating Oil Effects on Friction of a PEO Coating at Different Sliding Velocities|
|Journal Article||New MAHLE Steel Piston and Pin Coating System for Reduced TCO of CV Engines|
CitationBergman, M., Bergwall, M., Elm, T., Louring, S. et al., "Advanced Low Friction Engine Coating Applied to a 70cc High Performance Chainsaw," SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0115, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-32-0115.
- Robertson J. Mater. Sci. Eng. R 37 2002 129 281
- Kalin M. , Velkavrh I. , Vižintin J. , Ožbolt L. Meccanica 43 2008 623 637
- Podgornik B. , Hren D. , Vižintin J. , Jacobson S. , Stavlid N. , Hogmark S. Wear 261 2006 32 40
- Podgornik B. , Sedlaček M. , Vižintin J. Trib. Int. 41 2008 564 570
- Podgornik B. , Vižintin J. Surf. Coat. Technol. 200 2005 1982 1989
- Forsberg P. , Gustavsson F. , Renman V. , Hieke A. , Jacobson S. Wear 304 2013 211 222
- Bergman , M. and Berneklev , J. A Novel Method of Tuning a Stratified Scavenged Two-Stroke Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0055 2006 10.4271/2006-32-0055
- Bergman , M. , Gustafsson , R. , and Jonsson , B. Emission and Performance Evaluation of a 25 cc Stratified Scavenging Two-Stroke Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-32-0047 2003 10.4271/2003-32-0047
- Buhei K. , Masanori N. , Toshiharu S. Stratified scavenging two-cycle engine Figure 4, Patent JP11107761
- Oliver W.C. , Pharr G.M. J. Mater. Res. 7 1992 1564
- Ferrari A.C. , Robertson J. Phys. Rev. B 64 2001 075414
- Casiraghi C. , Ferrari A.C. , Robertson J. Phys. Rev. B 72 2005 085401
- Hofmann D. , Kunkel S. , Bewilogua K. , Wittorf R. Surf. Coat. Technol. 215 2013 357 363