This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Spray Combustion Characteristics of Fatty Acid Methyl Ester Mixed with Diesel Oil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 11, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this study is to understand the fundamental spray combustion characteristics of FAME mixed with diesel oil. To examine the phenomena in detail, diesel spray flame formed in a constant volume high pressure vessel was visualized and the flame temperature and the KL factor were analyzed by two color method of luminous flame. The FAMEs examined in this study are PME, RME and CME, and compared with the combustion characteristics of diesel oil. From the systematic experiments, it is confirmed that the ignition delay and combustion period of bio diesel fuels are almost equivalent with those of diesel oil. The flame temperature decreased slightly with the bio fuel. Furthermore the total KL factor, a measure of the amount of soot in flame, decreased drastically by using the bio diesel fuel in the order of the mass fraction of oxygen in the molecule.
CitationAzetsu, A. and Hagio, H., "Study on Spray Combustion Characteristics of Fatty Acid Methyl Ester Mixed with Diesel Oil," SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0083, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-32-0083.
- Yamada , J. and Tanaka , Y. , Manufacturing Process of Bio-diesel Fuel Engine technology 05 05 2003 45 51
- Agarwal , A.K. Biofuels (alcohols and biodiesel) applications as fuels for internal combustion engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 33 3 2007 233 271
- Ohgawara , T. , Hirota , G. , Maruki , G. and Inoue , Y. , The Application of the Waste-Vegetables Oil as a Bio-fuel for Diesel Engine Proc. ISME 2005 2005 57 60
- Kawasaki , K. and Yamane , K. , Proc. COMODIA 2008 2008 793 798
- Rao , P.V. , Rao , B.V.A. and Rao , N.S. Biodiesel Characterization and Influence of its Properties on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Proc. COMODIA 2008 2008 807 814
- Okui , N. , Suzuki , T. and Senda , J. , Research on DI Diesel Engine Use of Biodiesel Fuel -2nd Report: Basic Analysis of spray and Combustion Characteristics Marine engineering 40 6 2005 63 69
- Zha , K. , Florea , R. and Jansons , M. , Soot Evolution With Cyclic Crank-Angle-Resolved Two-Color Thermometry in an Optical Diesel Engine Fueled With Biodiesel Blend and ULSD J. Eng. Gas turbines and Power, Trans. ASME, 092803 134 2012 1 7
- Aoki , M. , Kataoka , S. and Azetsu , A. , A Study on the Spray Combustion Characteristics of PME Mixed Diesel Oil Proc. COMODIA 2008 2008 825 830
- Azetsu , A. , Hagio , H. and Aoki , M. , A Study on the Spray Combustion Characteristics of Bio Diesel Fuel Proc. 26th CIMAC World Congress, Paper No. 164 2010
- Wakisaka , Y. and Azetsu , A. , Effect of Fuel Injection Rate Shaping and Injection Pressure on Intermittent Spray Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2793 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2793
- Matsui , Y. , Kamimoto , T. , and Matsuoka , S. , A Study on the Time and Space Resolved Measurement of Flame Temperature and Soot Concentration in a D. I. Diesel Engine by the Two-Color Method SAE Technical Paper 790491 1979 10.4271/790491
- Hottel , H.C. and Broughton , F.P. Determination of True Temperature and Total Radiation From Luminous Gas Flames Ind. Eng. Chem. 4 2 166 175
- Wakisaka , Y. and Azetsu , A. , Effects of Fuel Injection Rate Shaping on Combustion and Emission Formation in Intermittent Spray SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1159 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1159
- Mueller , C. and Upatnieks , A. , Operational Characteristics of Oxygenate-Water Fuel Blends Studied in an Optical DI Diesel Engine with Simulated Exhaust Gas Recirculation SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2017 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2017
- Dec , J. , A Conceptual Model of DI Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging* SAE Technical Paper 970873 1997 10.4271/970873