This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Octane Number Obtained with Different Oxygenated Components on the Engine Performance and Emissions of a Small GDI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 11, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Great efforts have been paid to improve engine efficiency as well as to reduce the pollutant emissions. The direct injection allows to improve the engine efficiency; on the other hand, the GDI combustion produces larger particle emissions. The properties of fuels play an important role both on engine performance and pollutant emissions. In particular, great attention was paid to the octane number. Oxygenated compounds allow increasing gasoline's octane number and play an important role in PM emission reduction. In this study was analyzed the effect of fuels with different RON and with ethanol and ethers content. The analysis was performed on a small GDI engine. Two operating conditions, representative of the typical EUDC cycle, were investigated. Both the engine performance and the exhaust emissions were evaluated. The gaseous emissions and particle concentration were measured at the exhaust by means of conventional instruments. Particle size distribution function was measured in the range from 5.6 nm to 560 nm by means of an Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer (EEPS). The results point out that the better result in terms of performance and emission reduction was observed for the high RON fuel. The fuels with ethanol as additive show a large fuel consumption and a not valuable effect on exhaust emissions.
CitationDi Iorio, S., Catapano, F., Sementa, P., Vaglieco, B. et al., "Effect of Octane Number Obtained with Different Oxygenated Components on the Engine Performance and Emissions of a Small GDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0038, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-32-0038.
- Zhao H. Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development 1 Gasoline and Gas Engines Woodhead Publishing 2010
- Sementa P. , Vaglieco B.M. , Catapano F. Thermodynamic and Optical Characterizations of a High Performance GDI Engine Operating in Homogeneous and Stratified Charge Mixture Conditions Fuelled With Gasoline And Bio-Ethanol Fuel 96 204 219 2012
- Sementa , P. , Vaglieco , B. , and Catapano , F. Non-Intrusive Investigation in a Small GDI Optical Engine Fuelled with Gasoline and Ethanol SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 50 66 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0140
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York McGraw-Hill 1988
- Cooney , C.P. , Worm , Y.J. , Naber , J.D. Combustion characterization in an internal combustion engine with ethanol-gasoline blended fuels varying compression ratios and ignition timing Energy Fuels 2009 2319 24
- Schifter , L. , Diaz , R. , Rodriguez , J.P. , Gómez, Gonzalez , U. Combustion and emissions behavior for ethanol-gasoline blends in a single cylinder engine Fuel 90 2011 3586 3592
- Celik , M.B. Experimental determination of suitable ethanol-gasoline blend rate at high compression ratio for gasoline engine Appl Therm Eng 2008 28 396 404
- Hsieh , W. D. , Chen , R. H. , Wu , T. L. , and Lin , T.-H. Engine performance and pollutant emission of an SI engine using ethanol-gasoline blended fuels Atmos. Environ. 36 403 10 10.1016/S1352-2310(01)00508-8 2002
- Di Iorio , S. , Lazzaro , M. , Sementa , P. , Vaglieco , B. et al. Particle Size Distributions from a DI High Performance SI Engine Fuelled with Gasoline-Ethanol Blended Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0211 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0211
- Catapano , F. , Di Iorio , S. , Sementa , P. , and Vaglieco , B. Characterization of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends Combustion processes and Particle Emissions in a GDI/PFI Small Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1382 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1382
- Shibata , G. , Oyama , K. , Urushihara , T. , and Nakano , T. Correlation of Low Temperature Heat Release With Fuel Composition and HCCI Engine Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0138 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0138
- Zhao , F. , Lai , M.C. , Harrington , D.L. Automotive spark-ignition direct-injection gasoline engines Prog Energy Combust Sci 1999 25 437 562
- Maricq , M. M. Soot Formation in Ethanol/gasoline Fuel Blend Diffusion Flames Combustion and Flame 159 170 180 2012
- Catapano , F. , Di Iorio , S. , Lazzaro , M. , Sementa , P. et al. Characterization of Ethanol Blends Combustion Processes and Soot Formation in a GDI Optical Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1316 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1316