This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Crystallographic Texture on Formability of Some FCC Metals and Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 28, 2014 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Formability of metals and alloys in general and aluminium alloys and steels in particular is of paramount importance in sheet metal forming in automobile industry. It is well understood that the evolution of preferred crystallographic orientation of crystallites or texture during prior thermo-mechanical processing of sheets plays an important role in determining formability. The formability of sheet is measured in terms of the Lankford parameter or the plastic strain ratio which is defined as the ratio of strain in width direction to that in the thickness direction (R = εw/εt). The variation of Lankford parameter with the rolling direction and standard and ΔR value is widely used in industry as a standard for estimating the formability of the rolled sheets. In the present investigation, we have used the viscoplastic self-consistent simulations to theoretically calculate the variation of the Lankford parameter with rolling direction for different crystallographic texture in model face centre cubic and body centre cubic material. It is observed that crystallographic texture obtained from unconventional processing routes like dissimilar speed rolling or asymmetric rolling and change in strain path strongly influence the evolution of R value thereby affecting the formability of the unconventionally rolled sheets.
CitationGurao, N., "Effect of Crystallographic Texture on Formability of Some FCC Metals and Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 2014-28-0033, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-28-0033.
- Dieter G. E. Mechanical Behaviour of Materials Cambridge University Press
- Lankford G. and Cohen H. Trans. Am. Soc. Met. 62 623 638 1969
- Sevillano J. Gil , von Houtte P. and Aemoudt A. Large Strain Workhardening and Textures Prog. Mater. Sci. 25 69 412 1980
- Hirsch J. and Lücke K. Rolling texture evolution in some FCC materials Acta Metallurgica 36 1985 2863
- Suwas S. and Singh A. K. Mater. Sci. and Eng. A 356 368 2003
- Gurao N. P. , Sethuraman S. and Suwas S. Effect of strain path change on the evolution of texture and microstructure during rolling in copper and nickel Mater. Sci. Engg. A 2013
- Lebensohn R. A. and Tome C. N. Acta Metall. Mater. 41 1993 2611
- Tome C. N. , Cannova G. R. and Kocks U. F. Acta Metall. Mater. 32 1637 1984
- Kim KH , Lee DN. Acta Mater 49 2583 2001
- Beausir B. , Biswas S. , Kim D-I , Toth L. S. and Suwas S. Acta Mater. 57 5061 5077 2009