This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Piezo Based Testing Facilities to Discover New Areas in Material Characterisation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 28, 2014 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
The fatigue life approach is the main topic of structural durability. Improved methods for the numerical fatigue analysis should be based on experimental results. In some fields of material testing progress in research are very hard to achieve. Especially the regime of amplitudes below the knee point of the SN-curve with a huge number of load cycles to failure is one of these challenges with respect to fatigue tests. With standard testing devices, 108 to 1010 cycles cannot be achieved in a reasonable time span because of their low and limited testing frequencies or their inflexible control systems concerning variable amplitude loading.
For this reason, a new piezo based testing facility has been developed by Fraunhofer LBF which is capable to master this challenge. Built up with a high performance piezo actuator and a specially designed high frequency load frame this testing facility enables test frequencies up to 1.000Hz and locking forces of 10kN. The control technique realises variable load amplitudes as well as variable frequencies to test materials under realistic load sequences.
Another field of cyclic material behaviour characterisation, which is very hard to investigate, is the research of the local material behaviour. Properties of gradient-affected materials such as materials after forming processes or welding seams are only investigated globally, whereas the knowledge of the local material behaviour of the individual material layers can be much more interesting and it helps to understand the cyclic component behaviour under service conditions. Standard testing devices cannot ensure a feasible research of these important material parameters due to the low accuracy of their actuator and measurement components.
Again for this area piezo based testing facilities enable new prospects in material characterisation. For example pure weldment, extracted from the laser welding seam of steel sheets with thickness of 3mm can be tested with micro specimens to get the local material behaviour in order to refine material models for the numerical design process. Therefore, amplitudes of about 1μm and forces in the region of 1N can be realised with the piezo based testing facility. Hence, it is also applicable to micro component testing in an excellent way.
- Christian Fischer - Institute for System Reliability and Machine Acoustics SzM,
- Rainer Wagener - Fraunhofer Institute for Structural Durability and System Re
- Tobias Melz - Fraunhofer Institute for Structural Durability and System Re
- Heinz Kaufmann - Fraunhofer Institute for Structural Durability and System Re
CitationFischer, C., Wagener, R., Melz, T., and Kaufmann, H., "Piezo Based Testing Facilities to Discover New Areas in Material Characterisation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-28-0032, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-28-0032.
- Gassner , E. and Pries , H. Zeit- und Dauerfestigkeitsschaubilder für stabartige Bauteile aus Cr-Mo-Stahl, Duraluminium und Elektron Luftwissen 8 1 4 1941
- Sonsino C. M. Course of SN-curves especially in the high-cycle fatigue regime with regard to component design and safety International Journal of Fatigue 29 12 2246 2258 2007
- Tichý J. , Erhart J. , Kittinger E. , Prívratská J. Fundamentals of Piezoelectric Sensorics Technical University of Liberec Springer Berlin Heidelberg 2010
- Fischer , C. ; Wagener , R ; Friedmann A. ; Axt et al. Piezoelectric Driven Testing Facilities to Research the Very High Cycle Fatigue Regime Materials Testing 54 11-12 746 749 2012
- Lanz C. , Wagener R. , Melz T. FASTEST - Fatigue Related Application Specific Testing Solution Proceedings of SoSDiD 2014 Darmstadt 2014
- Fischer C. , Bruder E. , Wagener R. , Müller C. et al Frequenzeinfluss auf das Ermüdungsverhalten der Aluminiumknetlegierung EN AW-6060 im VHCF-Bereich DGM-Werkstoffprüfung 2013 Neu-Ulm 2013
- Kimpel T. , Wagener R. , Jauernig U. , Becker , U. et all. Betriebsfeste Bemessung von Steckverbindungen in Steuergeräten Werkstoffe und Fügeverfahren - Neue Herausforderungen für die Betriebsfestigkeit, 39.Tagung des DVM-Arbeitskreises “Betriebsfestigkeit,” DVM-Bericht 139 73 88 Paderborn 2012
- Ramberg W. , Osgood W.R. Description of stress-strain curves by three parameters Technical Report Technical Note NO. 992 NACA 1943
- Manson S.S. Fatigue: A complex subject - some simple approximations Experimental Mechanics 5 7 45 87 1965
- Coffin L.A. A study of the effects of cyclic thermal stresses on the ductile metal Trans. ASME 76 1954 931 950 1954
- Morrow J.D. Cyclic plastic strain energy and fatigue of metals Internal Friction, Damping and Cyclic Plasticity, ASTM 1965 45 87 1965