This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of CAE Methodology for Joining of Dissimilar Metals Using Cold Metal Transfer and Its Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 28, 2014 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Growing demands for fuel efficient vehicles and reducing air pollution leads to light weighting of vehicles. Using optimum combination of high strength steel and lightweight aluminum alloy in the automotive structures may be answer to the problem.
Joining of these two dissimilar metals have several issues related to techniques and reliability that need to be addressed for efficient mass production. There are several joining techniques used for dissimilar metals out of which Cold Metal transfer (CMT) is one of the methods. As simulation is an integral part of product design, development of CAE methodology for joining of dissimilar metals using CMT is necessary.
This paper includes investigation on various modeling methods of welded joint developed using CMT process. Numbers of lap shear specimen were tested experimentally and results were compared with simulation. Based on correlation, most suited modeling technique was adopted.
- K.V. Phani Prabhakar - International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy
- G Padmanabham - International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy
- N. A Kulkarni - The Automotive Research Association of India, Pune
- R. S. Mahajan - The Automotive Research Association of India, Pune
- N. V Karanth - The Automotive Research Association of India, Pune
CitationKulkarni, N., Mahajan, R., Karanth, N., Phani Prabhakar, K. et al., "Development of CAE Methodology for Joining of Dissimilar Metals Using Cold Metal Transfer and Its Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-28-0017, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-28-0017.
- Kreimeyer , M. , Wagner , F. , Sepold , G. , Joly , M. et al. Combined Welding-Brazing Process for Joining Aluminum Steel-Tailored Blanks with High Power Laser Sources SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2009 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2009
- Park H. , Kang M. and Kim D. Joining of Steel to Aluminum Alloy by AC Pulse MIG Welding Journal of Engineering and Technology April 2011
- http://www.sapagroup.com Introduction to Aluminum Welding
- Jian LIN , Ninshu MA , Yongping LEI and Hidekazu MURAKAWA Investigation of interface layer failure and shear strength of CMT brazed lap joint in Dissimilar Materials
- LS-Dyna User Manual