This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optical Investigations of Soot Reduction Mechanisms using Post-Injections in a Cylindrical Constant Volume Chamber (CCVC)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Past research has shown that post injections have the potential to reduce Diesel engine exhaust PM concentration without any significant influence in the NOx emissions. In earlier research it was observed that soot reduction due to a post injection is based on three reasons: increased turbulence (1) and heat (2) from the post injection during soot oxidation and lower soot formation due to smaller main injection for similar load conditions (3). The second effect of heat addition during the soot oxidation is debated in the literature.
The experimental investigation presented in the current work provides insight into the underlying mechanisms of soot formation and reduction using post injections under different operating conditions. The experimental data have been obtained using a cylindrical constant volume chamber with high optical access. The soot evolution has been obtained using 2-color-pyrometry. Furthermore, NO and particle mass and size distribution have been captured from the exhaust. In the experiments, the fuel composition, oxygen content and post injection timing has been varied.
All the operating conditions with 21% O2 showed decreased exhaust soot mass for the smallest post injection dwell timing, representing the highest degree of interaction between the two soot clouds. The change in temperature of two merged soot clouds was found to be negligible. Thus, the effect of turbulence induction appears of higher importance than the effect of heat addition. The exhaust soot reduction cannot be observed with reduced O2 background, even with higher degree of interaction. The reason is assumed to be by limited local O2 availability.
CitationBarro, C., Meyer, P., and Boulouchos, K., "Optical Investigations of Soot Reduction Mechanisms using Post-Injections in a Cylindrical Constant Volume Chamber (CCVC)," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2839, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2839.
- Dockery , D.W. et al. An Association between Air Pollution and Mortality in 6 United States Cities New England Journal of Medicine 1993 329 24 1753 1759
- Kreyling , W.G. , Semmler-Behnke M. , and Moller W. Health implications of nanoparticles Journal of Nanoparticle Research 2006 8 5 543 562
- Laden , F. et al. Reduction in fine particulate air pollution and mortality - Extended follow- up of the Harvard six cities study American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2006 173 6 667 672
- Peters , A. et al. Increased particulate air pollution and the triggering of myocardial infarction Circulation 2001 103 23 2810 2815
- Tree , D.R. and Svensson K.I. Soot processes in compression ignition engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 33 2007 272 309 2007
- Di Iorio , S. , Beatrice , C. , Guido , C. , del Giacomo , N. et al. Analysis of Particle Mass and Size Emissions from a Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filter during Regeneration by Means of Actual Injection Strategies in Light Duty Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2510 2518 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0210
- Arrègle , J. et al. Insights on postinjection-associated soot emissions in direct injection diesel engines Combustion and Flame 2008 154 2008 448 461
- Bobba , M. , Musculus , M. , and Neel , W. Effect of Post Injections on In-Cylinder and Exhaust Soot for Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 496 516 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0612
- Desantes , J. , Arrègle , J. , López , J. , and García , A. A Comprehensive Study of Diesel Combustion and Emissions with Post-injection SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0915 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0915
- Ehleskog , R. and Ochoterena , R. Soot Evolution in Multiple Injection Diesel Flames SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2470 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2470
- Ehleskog , R. , Ochoterena , R. , and Andersson , S. Effects of Multiple Injections on Engine-Out Emission Levels Including Particulate Mass from an HSDI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0910 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0910
- Helmantel , A. , Somhorst J. , and Denbratt I. Visualzation of the Effects of Post Injectons and Swirl on the Combustion Process of a Passenger Car Common Rail DI Diesel Engine ICES 2003-622 2003
- Mancaruso , E. , Merola S.S. , and Vaglieco B.M. Study of the multi-injection combustion process in a transparent direct injection common rail diesel engine by means of optical techniques JER01308 2008 9 438 497
- Payri , F. , Benajes , J. , Pastor , J. , and Molina , S. Influence of the Post-Injection Pattern on Performance, Soot and NOx Emissions in a HD Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0502 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0502
- Sperl , A. The Influence of Post-Injection Strategies on the Emissions of Soot and Particulate Matter in Heavy Duty Euro V Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0350 2011 10.4271/2011-36-0350
- O'Connor , J. and Musculus , M. In-Cylinder Mechanisms of Soot Reduction by Close-Coupled Post-Injections as Revealed by Imaging of Soot Luminosity and Planar Laser-Induced Soot Incandescence in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 673 693 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1255
- O'Connor , J. and Musculus M. Effects of exhaust gas recirculation and load on soot in a heavy-duty optical diesel engine with close-coupled post injections for high-efficiency combustion phasing International Journal of Engine Research 2013
- Barro , C. et al. Influence of Post-Injection Parameters on Soot Formation and Oxidation in a Common-Rail-Diesel Engine using Multi-Color-Pyrometry ASME ICEF-92075 2012 Vancourver BC
- Schubiger , R.A. Untersuchungen zur Russbildung und -oxidation in der dieselmotorischen Verbrennung Thermodynamische Kenngrössen, Verbrennungsanalyse und Mehrfarbenendoskopie Diss. ETH No. 14445 2002 ETH Zurich Zürich
- Kunte , S. et al. Temporal soot evolution and diesel engine combustion: influence of fuel composition, injection parameters, and exhaust gas recirculation International Journal of Engine Research 2006 7 459
- Barro , C. Development and Validation of a Virtual Soot Sensor Diss. ETH No. 20788 2012
- Schubiger , R.A. Untersuchungen zur Russbildung und -oxidation in der dieselmotorischen Verbrennung Thermodynamische Kenngrössen, Verbrennungsanalyse und Mehrfarbenendoskopie 2001 ETH Zurich Zürich
- Kirchen , P. Steady-State and Transient Diesel Soot Emissions: Developement of a Mean Value Soot Model and Exhaust-Stream and In-Cylinder Measurements Diss. ETH No. 18088 2008
- Kamimoto , T. and Murayama Y. Re-examination of the emissivity of diesel flames International Journal of Engine Research 2011 12 6 580 600
- Hottel , H.C. and Broughton F.P. Determination of True Temperature and Total Radiation from Luminous Gas Flames Ind. Eng. Chem. Anal. Ed. 1932 4 2 166 175
- Zhao , H. and Ladommatos N. Optical diagnostics for soot and temperature measurement in diesel engines Progress In Energy And Combustion Science 1998 24 3 221 255
- Kunte , S. Untersuchungen zum Einfluss von Brennstoffstruktur und -sauerstoffgehalt auf die Russbildung und -oxidation in laminaren Diffusionsflammen 2003 ETH Zürich
- Barro , C. et al. Comparison of Soot Measurement Instruments during Transient and Steady State Operation 14 th ETH Conference on Combustion Generated Nanoparticles 2010 ETH Zurich
- Kirchen , P. et al. Exhaust-Stream and In-Cylinder Measurement and Analysis of the Soot Emissions from a Common Rail Diesel Engine using Two Fuels ICEF2009-14085 2009
- Kunte , S. , Bertola A. , and Boulouchos K. Potenzial moderner Verbrennungsmotoren zur Partikelminderung Minimierung von Partikelemissionen 2005 Expert Verlag