This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Spectral Line Broadening on Measurements of NH 3 Concentration in Automobile Exhaust Using Near-IR Laser Absorption Spectroscopy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recently, highly sensitive near-IR laser absorption spectrometers have been employed to measure ammonia (NH3) emissions. These instruments allow in-situ measurements of highly time-resolved NH3 emission levels in automobile exhaust. However, the effect of the automobile exhaust CO2 in NH3 measurements has not been studied in detail. Because the CO2 concentration in automobile exhaust is 2 to 3 orders of magnitude higher than the NH3 concentration, there is a possibility that spectral overlap by CO2 lines and/or the spectral broadening of NH3 by CO2 could affect the measured NH3 levels.
This study had two major objectives. First, the effect of CO2 on the measured NH3 concentration was assessed using our developed near-IR laser absorption spectrometer. The second objective was to provide on-board NH3 measurements in the hybrid gasoline automobile exhaust using the developed spectrometer.
As a result, the CO2 in automobile exhaust was found to affect the measured NH3 concentration. The NH3 concentrations in automobile exhaust differed by few percent at 0%-20% CO2 concentrations. The NH3 concentration values in automobile exhaust were corrected by using these data. On-board measurements of NH3 concentration in the hybrid gasoline automobile exhaust system showed that the NH3 emission prevailed under the conditions in which the automobile was running rich or during overly aggressive driving (e.g. on highway).
|Technical Paper||Simultaneous Measurements of the Components of VOCs and PAHs in Diesel Exhaust Gas using a Laser Ionization Method|
|Journal Article||Simultaneous Measurements of Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Exhaust using a Laser Ionization Method|
CitationTanaka, K., Takano, M., Iimura, S., Miyamura, K. et al., "Influence of Spectral Line Broadening on Measurements of NH3 Concentration in Automobile Exhaust Using Near-IR Laser Absorption Spectroscopy," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2833, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2833.
- Heywood , J, B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGrawhill NY 1988
- Kulmala , M. , Korhonen , P. , Napari , I. , Karlsson , A. , Berrtsheim , H. , O'Dowd , C. D. Aerosol formation during PARFORCE: ternary nucleation of H 2 SO 4 , NH 3 , and H 2 O Journal of Geophysical Research 107 15-1 15-11 2002
- Krocher , O. , Elsener , M. , Koebel , M. An ammonia and isocyanic acid measuring method for soot containing exhaust gases Analytica Chimica Acta 537 393 400 2005
- Heeb , N. V. , Saxer , C. J. , Forss , A. , Bruhlmann , S. Correlation of hydrogen, ammonia and nitrogen monoxide (nitric oxide) emissions of gasoline-fueled Euro-3 passenger cars at transient driving Atmospheric Environement 40 3750 3763 2006
- Burgard , D. A. , Bishop , G. A. , Stedman , D. H. Remote sensing of ammonia and sulfur dioxide from on-road light duty vehicles Environmental Science and Technology 40 7018 7022 2006
- Heeb , N. V. , Saxer , C. J. , Forss , A. , Bruhlmann , S. Trends of NO-, NO 2 , and NH 3 -emissions from gasoline-fueled Euro-3- to Euro-4-passenger cars Atmospheric Environment 42 2543 2554 2008
- Kean , A. J. , Littlejohn , D. , Ban-Weiss , G. A. , Harley , R. A. , Kirchstetter , T. W. , Lunden , M. M. Trends in on-road vehicle emissions of ammonia Atmospheric Environment 43 1565 1570 2009
- Carslaw , D. C. , Rhys-Tyler , G. New insights from comprehensive on-road measurements of NOx, NO 2 and NH 3 from vehicle emission remote sensing in London, UK Atmospheric Environment 81 339 347 2013
- Huang , C. , Lou , D. , Hu , Z. , Feng , Q. , Chen , Y. , Chen , C. , Tan , P. , Yao , D. A PEMS study of the emissions of gaseous pollutants and ultrafine particles from gasoline-and diesel-fueled vehicles Atmospheric Environment 77 703 710 2013
- Mohn , J. , Forss , A. M. , Bruhlmann , S. , Zeyer , K. , Luscher , R. , Emmenegger , L. , Noval , P. , Heeb , N. Time-resolved ammonia measurement in vehicle exhaust International Journal of Environment and Pollition 22 342 356 2004
- Webber , M. E. , Baer , D. S. , Hanson , R. K. Ammonia monitoring near 1.5 μm with diode-laser absorption sensors Applied Optics 40 12 2031 2042 2001
- Yoshimura , Y. , Takekawa , H. , Sekiya , M. , Kondou , A. , Takakuwa , Y. , Takita , A. , Aoki , T. Fast Response Laser Exhaust Gas Measurement Journal of Society of Automobile Engineers of Japan 65 7 43 48 2011
- Koshelev , M. A. , Tretyakov , M. Y. , Lees , R. M. , Xu , L.-H. ECTDL study of N 2 - and O 2 -pressure broadening of a series of ammonia lines in the 1.5 µm (v 1 + v 3 ) combination band Applied Physics B 85 273 277 2006
- Jia , H. , Zhao , W. , Cai , T. , Chen , W. , Zhang , W. , Gao , X. Absorption spectroscopy of ammonia between 6526 and 6538 cm −1 Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 110 347 357 2009
- Fabian , M. , Ito , F. , Yamada , KMT. N 2 , O 2 , and air broadening of NH 3 in v 2 band measured by FTIR spectroscopy Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy 173 2 591 602 1995
- Aroui , H. , Broquier , M. , Picard-Bersellini , A. , Bouanich , JP. , Chevalier , M. , Gherissi , S. Absorption intensities, pressure-broadening and line mixing parameters of some lines of NH 3 in the v 4 band Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 60 6 1011 1023 1998
- Rothman , L. S. , Gordon , I. E. , Babikov , Y. , Barbe , A. , Chris Benner , D. , Bernath , P.F. , Birk , M. , Bizzocchi , L. , Boudon , V. , Brown , L. R. , Campargue , A. , Chance , K. , Cohen , E. A. , Coudert , L. H. , Devi , V. M. , Drouin , B. J. , Fayt , A. , Flaud , J. M. , Gamache , R. R. , Harrison , J. J. , Hartmann , J. M. , Hill , C. , Hodges , J. T. , Jacquemart , D. , Jolly , A. , Lamouroux , J. , Le Roy , R. J. , Li , G. , Long , D. A. , Lyulin , O. M. , Mackie , C. J. , Massie , S. T. , Mikhailenko , S. N. , Muller , H. S. P. , Naumenko , O. V. , Nikitin , A. V. , Orphal , J. , Perevalov , V. , Perrin , A. , Polovtseva , E. R. , Richard , C. , Smith , M. A. H. , Starikova , E. , Sung , K. , Tashkun , S. , Tennyson , J. , Toon , G. C. , Tyuterev , V. I. G. , Wagner , G. The HITRAN 2012 molecular spectroscopic database Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 130 4 50 2013
- Aroui , H. , Picard-Bersellini , M. , Chevalier , M. , Broquier , M. , Gherissi , S. Pressure-broadening and cross-relaxation rates of rotation-inversion transitions in the v 4 band of NH 3 perturbed by CO 2 Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy 176 162 168 1996
- Dhib , M. , Bouanich , J. P. , Aroui , H. , Picard-Bersellini , A. Analysis of N 2 , O 2 , CO 2 , and air broadening of infrared spectral lines in the v 4 band of NH 3 Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 68 2 163 178 2001
- Owen , K. , Es-sebbar , E. , Farooq , A. Measurements of NH 3 linestrengths and collisional broadening coefficients in N 2 , O 2 , CO 2 , and H 2 O near 1103.46 cm −1 Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 121 56 68 2013
- Takano , M. , Konno , M. , Tanaka , K. Measurements of nitrous oxide and ammonia using near-IR laser absorption spectroscopy Mechanical Engineering Congress 2013 Japan
- Devi , V. M. , Benner , D. C. , Smith , M. A. H. , Brown , L. R. , Dulick , M. Multispectrum analysis of pressure broadening and pressure shift coefficients in the 12 C 16 O 2 and 13 C 16 O 2 laser bands Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 76 411 434 2003
- Mejia-Centeno , I. , Castillo , S. , Fuentes , G. A. Enhanced emissions of NH 3 , N 2 O and H 2 from a Pd-only TWC and supported Pd model catalysts: Light-off and sulfur level studies Applied Catalysis B 119-120 234 240 2012