This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of LNT & Urea SCR on DPF System to Meet the Stringent Exhaust Emission Regulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In diesel engine development, the new technology is coming out to meet the stringent exhaust emission regulation. The regulation demands more eco-friendly vehicles. Euro6c demands to meet not only WLTP mode, but also RDE(Real Driving Emission). In order to satisfy RDE mode, the new technology to reduce emissions should cover all operating areas including High Load & High Speed. It is a big challenge to reduce NOx on the RDE mode and a lot of DeNOx technologies are being developed. So the new DeNOx technology is needed to cover widened operating area and strict acceleration / deacceleration. The existing LNT(Lean NOx Trap) and Urea SCR(Selective Catalytic Reduction) is necessary to meet the typical NEDC or WLTP, but the RDE mode demands the powerful DeNOx technology. Therefore, the LNT & Urea SCR on DPF was developed through this study. This complex new technology consists of new catalysts(to reduce emissions), insulation(to improve fuel economy, and catalytic performance), and logical controller(to control DeNOx and DePM strategy). This new technology is to improve the weak DeNOx performance and fuel penalty of LNT, and the fast heat-up issue of Urea SCR system. As this technology gathers the strong points of LNT and the Urea SCR system, it is able to meet the strengthened exhaust emission regulation. This study is the result to meet RDE mode and to make sure of fuel economy.
CitationJoo, K., Park, J., Lee, J., Kim, S. et al., "A Study of LNT & Urea SCR on DPF System to Meet the Stringent Exhaust Emission Regulation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2810, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2810.
- Maunula , T. NO x Reduction with the Combinations on LNT and SCR in Diesel Applications SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7 1 195 206 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0161
- Theis , J. , Dearth , M. , and McCabe , R. LNT+SCR Catalyst Systems Optimized for NO x Conversion on Diesel Applications SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0305 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0305
- Cho , J. , Lee , J. , Kim , S. , Bang , S. et al. A Development of Urea Solution Injection Quantity Decision Logic for SCR System SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1069 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1069
- Koebel , M. , and Elsener , M. Selective catalytic reduction of NO over commercial DeNOX-catalysts: experimental determination of kinetics and thermodynamic parameters Chem. Eng. Sci. 53 4 657 669 1998
- Chatterjee , D. , Burkhardt , T. , Weibel , M. , Tronconi , E. et al. Numerical Simulation of NO/NO2/NH3 Reactions on SCR-Catalytic Converters:Model Development and Applications SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0468 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0468