This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Closed Loop Control of SI/HCCI Combustion Mode Switch Based on Ion Current Feedback
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline direct injection (GDI) technology is admitted to be one of the most effective measures to improve the fuel economy for the spark ignition (SI) engines. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) combustion has advantages of low fuel consumption and ultra low NOx emissions. But the difficulty in the autoignition control and the narrow operation region inhibit the practical application of this technology. A hybrid combustion mode which combines SI mode and HCCI mode in separated working regions was regarded as a promising technology for HCCI engines. In addition, monitoring and providing feedback to the in-cylinder combustion characteristics is generally considered to be an effective method to improve and to optimize the combustion process. A lot of combustion information is included in the ion current generated by the in-cylinder combustion, and hence the ion current detection technique is considered to be a potential combustion feedback method. A strategy used in the SI/HCCI combustion mode switch based on ion current was established and experimented in a GDI-HCCI engine assisted by negative valve overlap (NVO). During the combustion mode switch process, by adjusting the key factors within the switch process, such as injection mass, injection timing and throttle opening, the switch process was optimized. The optimized SI-HCCI mode switch, not only the smoothness was improved, cylinder pressure amplitude, indicated mean efficiency pressure (IMEP), HC and NOx emissions were stable, but also the fuel economy and the emission performance were promoted.
CitationCao, Y., Xue, Z., Miao, Q., Deng, J. et al., "Closed Loop Control of SI/HCCI Combustion Mode Switch Based on Ion Current Feedback," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2704, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2704.
- Zhao , F. , Asmus , T.W. , Assanis , D.N. , Dec , J.E. et al. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines: Key Research and Development Issues Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-11234 2003
- Urata , Y. , Awasaka , M. , Takanashi , J. , Kakinuma , T. et al. A Study of Gasoline-fuelled HCCI Engine Equipped with an Electromagnetic Valve Train SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1898 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1898
- Santoso , H. , Matthews , J. , and Cheng , W. Managing SI/HCCI Dual-Mode Engine Operation SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0162 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0162
- Koopmans , L. , Ström , H. , Lundgren , S. , Backlund , O. et al. Demonstrating a SI-HCCI-SI Mode Change on a Volvo 5-Cylinder Electronic Valve Control Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0753 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0753
- Milovanovic , N. , Blundell , D. , Gedge , S. , and Turner , J. SI-HCCI-SI Mode Transition at Different Engine Operating Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0156 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0156
- Xu , H. , Rudolph , S. , Liu , Z. , Wallace , S. et al. An Investigation into the Operating Mode Transitions of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Using EGR Trapping SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1911 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1911
- Tian , G. , Wang , Z. , Ge , Q. , Wang , J. et al. Mode Switch of SI-HCCI Combustion on a GDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0195 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0195
- Abhijit , G. and Naber , J. Correlation of Air Fuel Ratio with Ionization Signal Metrics in a Multicylinder Spark Ignited Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0584 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0584
- Henein , N. , Bryzik , W. , Abdel-Rehim , A. , and Gupta , A. Characteristics of Ion Current Signals in Compression Ignition and Spark Ignition Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 260 281 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0567
- Schneider , D. and Lai , M. Real-Time Air/Fuel-Ratio Control in a Small SI Engine Using the Ionic Current Signal SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3323 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3323
- Strandh , P. , Bengtsson , J. , Johansson , R. , Tunestål , P. et al. Cycle-to-Cycle Control of a Dual-Fuel HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0941 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0941
- Yoshiyama , S. , Tomita , E. , Mori , M. , and Sato , Y. Ion Current in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4052 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4052
- Dong , G. , Yu , S. , and Li , L. Misfiring Control in Current Cycle at Engine Start Employing Ion Sensing Technology SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2713 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2713
- Zhang Zhiyong A Study on Cycle-by-cycle Control Based Ion Current for HCCI Engines Fueled with Gasoline Ph.D dissertation Tongji University 2012
- Yin-bo CAO , Zhi-yong ZHANG , Yun BAI , Zong-jie HU , Li-guang LI Influence of Injection Strategy on Interdependency Between Ion Current Characteristics and HCCI Combustion Phase Transactions of CSICE.2013 31 1 31 37
- Yinbo Cao , Yun Bai , Zhiyong Zhang , Jun Deng , Liguang Li HCCI Combustion Phase Closed Loop Control Based on Ion Current Journal of Combustion Science and Technology 2013 19 2 135 140