This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Additives on Combustion Characteristics of a Natural Gas Fueled HCCI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) is among the new generation of combustion modes which can be applied to internal combustion engines. It is currently the topic of numerous studies in various fields. Due to its operating process, HCCI ensures a good efficiency, similar to that of compression ignition (CI) engines, and low particulate and nitric oxide (NOx) emissions. However, before promoting the use of this kind of engine, several challenges must be addressed, in particular controlling the combustion.
Recent work showed that the combustion phasing can be controlled using low concentrations of ozone, an oxidizing chemical species. As ozone generators become increasingly compact, the integration of this kind of device in passenger cars can be considered.
The present study investigates the effect of ozone on the combustion of different fuel mixtures. The engine was fuelled with various blends: a 95%methane/5%propane mixture and three different methane/hydrogen mixtures. The engine parameters and pollutant emissions were analyzed as a function of ozone seeding in several cases: by degrading the intake pressure, by degrading the intake temperature, and by varying the volume fraction in the blend composition to obtain a fuel that auto-ignites less readily. Overall, experimental results showed that ozone improves and advances the combustion of all the fuels considered.
Lastly, computations were conducted using a simple constant volume model to study fuel oxidation in the presence of ozone. Results showed that ozone quickly oxidizes the fuel and is therefore a good combustion promoter.
CitationMasurier, J., Foucher, F., Dayma, G., and Dagaut, P., "Effect of Additives on Combustion Characteristics of a Natural Gas Fueled HCCI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2662, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2662.
- Lu X., Han D., and Huang Z., “Fuel design and management for the control of advanced compression-ignition combustion modes,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 741-783, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2011.03.003
- Yao M., Zheng Z., and Liu H., “Progress and recent trends in homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 398-437, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2009.05.001
- Lü X.-C., Chen W., and Huang Z., “A fundamental study on the control of the HCCI combustion and emissions by fuel design concept combined with controllable EGR. Part 1. The basic characteristics of HCCI combustion,” Fuel, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1074-1083, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2004.12.014
- Tanaka S., Ayala F., Keck J. C., and Heywood J. B., “Two-stage ignition in HCCI combustion and HCCI control by fuels and additives,” Combust. Flame, vol. 132, no. 1-2, pp. 219-239, 2003. doi:10.1016/S0010-2180(02)00457-1
- Saisirirat P., Togbé C., Chanchaona S., Foucher F., Mounaim-Rousselle C., and Dagaut P., “Auto-ignition and combustion characteristics in HCCI and JSR using 1-butanol/n-heptane and ethanol/n-heptane blends,” Proc. Combust. Inst., vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 3007-3014, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1016/j.proci.2010.07.016
- Lu X., Ji L., Zu L., Hou Y., Huang C., and Huang Z., “Experimental study and chemical analysis of n-heptane homogeneous charge compression ignition combustion with port injection of reaction inhibitors,” Combust. Flame, vol. 149, no. 3, pp. 261-270, May 2007. doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2007.01.002
- Yamada H., Yoshii M., and Tezaki A., “Chemical mechanistic analysis of additive effects in homogeneous charge compression ignition of dimethyl ether,” Proc. Combust. Inst., vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 2773-2780, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1016/j.proci.2004.08.253
- Contino F., Foucher F., and Mounaïm-Rousselle C., “Combustion Characteristics of Tricomponent Fuel Blends of Ethyl Acetate, Ethyl Propionate, and Ethyl Butyrate in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI),” Energy & Fuels, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1497-1503, 2011. doi:10.1021/ef200193
- Contino F., Foucher F., Mounaïm-rousselle C., and Jeanmart H., “Experimental Characterization of Ethyl Acetate, Ethyl Propionate, and Ethyl Butanoate in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” Energy & Fuels, vol. 25, pp. 998-1003, 2011. doi:10.1021/ef101602q
- Mohammadi, A., Kawanabe, H., Ishiyama, T., Shioji, M. et al., “Study on Combustion Control in Natural-Gas PCCI Engines with Ozone Addition into Intake Gas,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0419, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0419.
- Aceves S. M., Smith J. R., Westbrook C., and Pitz W., “Compression Ratio Effect on Methane HCCI Combustion,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 569-574, 1998.
- Lü X.-C., Chen W., and Huang Z., “A fundamental study on the control of the HCCI combustion and emissions by fuel design concept combined with controllable EGR. Part 2. Effect of operating conditions and EGR on HCCI combustion,” Fuel, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1084-1092, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2004.12.015
- Dubreuil, A., Foucher, F., and Mounaϊm-Rousselle, C., “Effect of EGR Chemical Components and Intake Temperature on HCCI Combustion Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0044, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-32-0044.
- Sjöberg, M. and Dec, J., “Influence of EGR Quality and Unmixedness on the High-Load Limits of HCCI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):492-510, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0666.
- Dubreuil A., Foucher F., Mounaïm-Rousselle C., Dayma G., and Dagaut P., “HCCI combustion: Effect of NO in EGR,” Proc. Combust. Inst., vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 2879-2886, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1016/j.proci.2006.07.168
- Contino F., Foucher F., Dagaut P., Lucchini T., D'Errico G., and Mounaïm-Rousselle C., “Experimental and numerical analysis of nitric oxide effect on the ignition of iso-octane in a single cylinder HCCI engine,” Combust. Flame, vol. 160, no. 8, pp. 1476-1483, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2013.02.028
- Aceves, S., Flowers, D., Martinez-Frias, J., Espinosa-Loza, F. et al., “Fuel and Additive Characterization for HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1814, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1814.
- Foucher F., Higelin P., Mounaïm-Rousselle C., and Dagaut P., “Influence of ozone on the combustion of n-heptane in a HCCI engine,” Proc. Combust. Inst., vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 3005-3012, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1016/j.proci.2012.05.042
- Masurier J., Foucher F., Dayma G., and Dagaut P., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion of Primary Reference Fuels Influenced by Ozone Addition,” Energy & Fuels, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 5495-5505, 2013. doi:10.1021/ef401009x
- Masurier, J., Foucher, F., Dayma, G., Mounaïm-Rousselle, C. et al., “Towards HCCI Control by Ozone Seeding,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0049, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0049.
- Nishida H., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Natural Gas / Air Mixture with Ozone Addition,” J. Propuls. Power, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 151-157, 2006. 10.2514/1.14991
- Maurya R. Kumar, Pal D. D., and Agarwal A. Kumar, “Digital signal processing of cylinder pressure data for combustion diagnostics of HCCI engine,” Mech. Syst. Signal Process., vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 95-109, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1016/j.ymssp.2011.07.014
- Lutz A. E., Kee R. J., and Miller J. A., “Senkin: A Fortran Program for Predicting Homogeneous Gas Phase Chemical Kinetics with Sensitivity Analysis,” Sandia Natl. Lab., vol. Livermore, no. CA, 1998.
- Wang A. L. Hai, You Xiaoqing, Joshi Ameya V., Davis Scott G. and Egolfopoulos C. K. L. Fokion, “High-Temperature Combustion Reaction Model of H2/CO/C1-C4 Compounds,” May 2007, 2007.
- Halter F., Higelin P., and Dagaut P., “Experimental and Detailed Kinetic Modeling Study of the Effect of Ozone on the Combustion of Methane,” Energy & Fuels, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 2909-2916, Jul. 2011. doi:10.1021/ef200550m