This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High-Dimensional Sensitivity Analysis Applied at Vehicle Component and System Level in the Context of CO 2 Exhaust Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper demonstrates how the validation and verification phase of prototype development can be simplified through the application of the Model Development Suite (MoDS) software by integrating advanced statistical and numerical techniques. The authors have developed and present new numerical and software integration methods to support a) automated model parameter estimation (model calibration) with respect to experimental data and, b) automated global sensitivity analysis through using a High Dimensional Model Representation (HDMR).
These methods are demonstrated at 1) a component level by performing systematic parameter estimation of various friction models for heavy-duty IC engine applications, 2) at a sub-component level by performing a parameter estimation for an engine performance model, and 3) at a system level for evaluating fuel efficiency losses (and CO2 sources) in a vehicle model over 160 ‘real-world’ and legislated drive cycles.
CitationSmallbone, A., Bhave, A., and Man, P., "High-Dimensional Sensitivity Analysis Applied at Vehicle Component and System Level in the Context of CO2 Exhaust Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2564, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2564.
- Smallbone , A. , Bhave , A. , Kraft , M. , Dris , A. et al. Moving Toward Establishing More Robust and Systematic Model Development for IC Engines Using Process Informatics SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0152 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0152
- Brownbridge , G. , Smallbone , A. , Phadungsukanan , W. , Mosbach , S. et al. Automated IC Engine Model Development with Uncertainty Propagation SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0237 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0237
- Mosbach S. , Braumann A. , Man P. L. , Kastner C. A. , Brownbridge G. P. and Kraft M. Iterative improvement of Bayesian parameter estimates for an engine model by means of experimental design Combustion and Flame 159 3 1303 1313 2012
- Menz W. J. , Brownbridge G. and Kraft M. Global sensitivity analysis of a model for silicon nanoparticle synthesis Technical Report 141, c4e-Preprint Series Cambridge 2014
- Azadi P. , Brownbridge G. , Mosbach S. , Smallbone A. J. , Bhave A. , Inderwildi O. R. and Kraft M. The carbon footprint and non-renewable energy demand of algae-derived biodiesel Applied Energy 113 1632 1644 2014
- Rabitz H. and Aliş Ö. F. General foundations of high-dimensional model representations Journal of Mathematical Chemistry 25 2-3 197 233 1999
- Shayler , P. , Leong , D. , and Murphy , M. Contributions to Engine Friction During Cold, Low Speed Running and the Dependence on Oil Viscosity SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1654 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1654
- André M. Real-world driving cycles for measuring cars pollutant emissions - Part A : The Artemis European driving cycles n°LTE 0411, p97 Inrets report Bron, France 2004
- Kasseris E. P. Comparative Analysis of Automotive Powertrain Choices for the Near to Mid-Term Future Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2006
- Ritzen J. Modelling and fixed step simulation of a turbocharged diesel engine Linkopings Universiet 2003
- Jung , M. , Ford , R. , Glover , K. , Collings , N. et al. Parameterization and Transient Validation of a Variable Geometry Turbocharger for Mean-Value Modeling at Low and Medium Speed-Load Points SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2729 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2729
- Eriksson L. Modeling and Control of Turbocharged SI and DI Engines Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP 62 4 523 538 2007
- Wahlstrom J. and Eriksson L. Modeling of a Diesel Engine with VGT and EGR capturing Sign Reversal and Non-minimum Phase Behaviors Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering 225 7 2011
- Blair , G.P. Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-0440-3 1999 10.4271/R-186
- Sobol I. Uniformly Distributed Sequences with an Additional Uniform Property USSR Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics 16 236 242 1977
- Lourakis L. Levenberg-Marquardt nonlinear least squares algorithms in C/C++ www.ics.forth.gr/∼lourakis/levmar/ 2004
- The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Limited New Car CO2 Report 2014 2014