This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Cylinder Deactivation (CDA) Strategies on Part Load Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 13, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many efforts have been invested to improve the fuel efficiency of vehicles mainly for the local consumers. One of the main techniques to have better fuel efficiency is cylinder deactivation system. In this paper, the main research area is focus on the investigation of cylinder deactivation (CDA) technology on common engine part load conditions within common Malaysian driving condition. CDA mostly being applied on multi cylinders engines. It has the advantage in improving fuel consumption by reducing pumping losses at part load engine conditions. Here, the application of CDA on 1.6 liter four cylinders gasoline engine is studied. One-dimensional (1-D) engine modeling is performed to investigate the effect of intake and exhaust valve strategy on engine performance with CDA. The 1-D engine model is constructed starts from the air-box cleaner up to exhaust system according to the 1.6 liter actual engine geometries. The model is simulated at various engine speeds with full load condition. The simulated results show that the constructed model is well correlated to measured data. This correlated model is then used to investigate the effect of valves timing configurations on engine performance. The model is then used to determine the optimum intake and exhaust valve lift and timing for CDA application at part load conditions. Also, the effects on the in-cylinder combustion as well as pumping losses are presented. The study shows that the effects of valves strategies are very significant on the engine performance. Pumping losses is found to be reduced, thus improving fuel consumption and engine thermal efficiency.
CitationMuhamad Said, M., Abdul Aziz, A., Abdul Latiff, Z., Mahmoudzadeh Andwari, A. et al., "Investigation of Cylinder Deactivation (CDA) Strategies on Part Load Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2549, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2549.
- Bahri , B. , Aziz A.A. , Shahbakhti M. , and Muhamad Said M.F. Understanding and detecting misfire in an HCCI engine fuelled with ethanol Applied Energy 2013 108 24 33
- Mahmoudzadeh Andwari , A. , Abdul Aziz A. , Muhamad Said M.F. , and Abdul Latiff Z. An experimental study on the influence of EGR rate and fuel octane number on the combustion characteristics of a CAI two-stroke cycle engine Applied Thermal Engineering 2014 71 1 248 258
- Bahri , B. , Aziz A.A. , Shahbakhti M. , and Said M.F.M. Analysis and modeling of exhaust gas temperature in an ethanol fuelled HCCI engine Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 2013 27 11 3531 3539
- Mahmoudzadeh Andwari , A. , Abdul Aziz A. , Muhamad Said M.F. , and Abdul Latiff Z. Experimental Investigation of the Influence of Internal and External EGR on the Combustion Characteristics of a Controlled Auto-Ignition Two-Stroke Cycle Engine Applied Energy 2014 10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.08.006
- Riley , M. and Fiddes , D. A Fully Variable Mechanical Valvetrain with a Simple Moving Pivot SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0770 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0770
- Stokes , J. , Lake , T. , Murphy , R. , Osborne , R. et al. Gasoline Engine Operation with Twin Mechanical Variable Lift (TMVL) Valvetrain Stage 1: SI and CAI Combustion with Port Fuel Injection SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0752 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0752
- Shiao , Y. and Dat L. Efficiency improvement for an unthrottled SI engine at part load International Journal of Automotive Technology 2012 13 6 885 893
- Vendan , S. , Sathish T. , and Sathishkumar S. Reduction of fuel consumption in multicylinder engine by cylinder deactivation technique Engineering Annals of Faculty of Engineering, Hunedoara 2009 15 20
- Boretti , A. and Scalzo J. A Novel Mechanism for Piston Deactivation Improving the Part Load Performances of Multi Cylinder Engines Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress 2013 Springer
- Flierl , R. , Lauer , F. , Breuer , M. , and Hannibal , W. Cylinder Deactivation with Mechanically Fully Variable Valve Train SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 207 215 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0160
- Gamma , T. GT-SUITE - Flow Theory Manual Gamma Technologies Inc. 2012
- Gamma , T. GT-SUITE - Engine Performance Application Manual Gamma Technologies Inc. 2012
- Zahari , I. , Abas M.A. , Mat Arishad N.I. , Zainal Abidin S.F. , and Muhamad Said M.F. Experimental study to identify common engine part load conditions between Malaysian city driving and NEDC test International Review of Mechanical Engineering 2013 7 6 1152 1158
- Abas , M. , Salim , O. , Martinez-Botas , R. , and Rajoo , S. Efforts to Establish Malaysian Urban Drive-Cycle for Fuel Economy Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1159 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1159