This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Creep Groan Phenomena of Brake Pad Materials Using Different Abrasive Particles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Creep groan is a low-frequency (20-300Hz) self-excited brake vibration caused by stick-slip phenomena at the friction interface observed at very low vehicle speed. The creep groan propensity of friction materials is closely related with the difference (Δμ) between the static (μs) and the kinetic (μk) coefficients of friction. In this study, a NAO brake pad material was used as a base formulation and the abrasives tested were commercial grade of black iron oxide, chromite, zirconium oxide, magnesium oxide and aluminum oxide. Experimental results were obtained by testing seven different friction material formulations, in which the type of abrasives or its hardness or its particle size was changed in order to explore the impact of these variables on the stick-slip occurrence. A laboratory-scale tribometer was used to investigate the influence of different types of abrasives and their physical properties in the stick-slip. The results showed that abrasive particle size and hardness significantly affect the propensity of stick slip. Abrasives with high hardness showed relatively large stick-slip amplitudes in comparison to that with lower hardness. High propensity of stick-slip also was observed in tests of samples with the same abrasive but with larger particle size.
CitationMasotti, D., Ferreira, N., Neis, P., Menetrier, A. et al., "Evaluation of Creep Groan Phenomena of Brake Pad Materials Using Different Abrasive Particles," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2518, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2518.
- Yoon, S. W., Shin, M. W., Lee, W. G., & Jang, H. (2012). Effect of surface contact conditions on the stick-slip behavior of brake friction material. Wear, 294-295, 305-312. doi:10.1016/j.wear.2012.07.011.
- Neis, P.D., Baets, P., Ost, W., et al. (2011). Investigation of the dynamic response in a dry friction process using a rotating stick-slip tester. Wear, 271, 2640-2650, doi:10.1016/j.wear.2011.11.022.
- Fuadi Z., Maegawa S., Nakano K., Adachi K., Map of low-frequency stick-slip of a creep groan, Proceedings of the Institution of mechanical Engineers, Part 1: Journal of Engineering Tribology 224 (12) (2010) 1235-1246.
- Jang, H., Lee, J. S., & Fash, J. W. (2001). Compositional effects of the brake friction material on creep groan phenomena. Wear, 251(1-12), 1477-1483. doi:10.1016/S0043-1648(01)00786-4.
- Fuadi Z., Adachi K., Ikeda H., Naito H., Kato K., Effect of contact stiffness on creep-groan occurrence on a simple caliper-slider experimental model, Proceedings of ICSV15, Korea, 2008.
- Matozo, L. T., “Estudo da Relação entre propriedades do compósito de fricção aplicado a sistemas de freio a disco e a propensão à ocorrência de Squeal Noise”, (in portuguese), Thesis, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, 2012.
- Matozo, L. T., Tamagna, A., Al-Qureshi, H., et al, “Investigation of the Relation Between Friction Material Abrasive Properties and the Squeal Noise Tendency in Automotive Disc Brake Systems”, Int. Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, Vol. 17, No. 4, 200-203, 2012.
- Cho, M. H., Kim, S. J., Kim, D., & Jang, H. (2005). Effects of ingredients on tribological characteristics of a brake lining: an experimental case study. Wear, 258(11-12), 1682-1687. doi:10.1016/j.wear.2004.11.021.
- Kim, S. S., Hwang, H. J., Shin, M. W., & Jang, H. (2011). Friction and vibration of automotive brake pads containing different abrasive particles. Wear, 271(7-8), 1194-1202. doi:10.1016/j.wear.2011.05.037.
- Masotti, D., Ferreira, N. F., Neis, P. D., et al, “Experimental Evaluation of Creep Groan Noise Using a Laboratory-scaled Tribometer”, Eurobrake, 2014.
- Lee, S. M., Shin, M. W., & Jang, H. (2013). Friction-induced intermittent motion affected by surface roughness of brake friction materials. Wear, 308(1-2), 29-34. doi:10.1016/j.wear.2013.09.018.
- Gao C., Kuhlmann-Wilsdorf D., Makel D.D., The dynamic analysis of stick-slip motion, Wear 173 (1994) 1-12.
- Cho, K. H., Jang, H., Hong, Y. S.,. (2008). The size effect of zircon particles on the friction characteristics of brake lining materials. Wear 264, 291-297.