This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Hydraulic Retarder Air-Friction Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The retarder is an important auxiliary braking device of heavy vehicles. However, the stirring air in the working wheels of the idle retarder would cause the transmission loss when the vehicle is traveling in non-braking state .
For certain driving conditions, the air-friction characteristics in the working wheels of the idle retarder are analyzed first. Then the relationship between the air density and the torque produced by stirring air is studied. The thermal characteristics of the retarder in the idle condition are also concerned according to the energy flow and heat transfer. Meanwhile, the increased transmission loss caused by the rising temperature of the stirring air and its inference on the transmission stability are also studied. Finally, the optimal range of air vacuum degrees in the working wheel of the idle retarder is determined and the evaluations for the air-friction and the heat transfer characteristics are given for the vacuum degrees. The result shows that, the transmission loss could be reduced by 90% and the transmission stability is verified by kinds of driving conditions, while idle retarder could be operated in a good thermal condition.
|Technical Paper||Development of a Hydraulic Retarder for the Allison AT545R Transmission|
|Technical Paper||ZF Retarder in Commercial Vehicles|
- Can Wang - Hubei Key Lab of Adv Tech for Auto Components, Wuhan Univ.
- Gangfeng Tan - Hubei Key Lab of Adv Tech for Auto Components, Wuhan Univ.
- Xuexun Guo - Hubei Key Lab of Adv Tech for Auto Components, Wuhan Univ.
- Ming Chen - Hubei Key Lab of Adv Tech for Auto Components, Wuhan Univ.
- Chuizong Huang - Jiaozuo Brake Incorporated Co., Ltd.
- Wei Liu - Hubei Key Lab of Adv Tech for Auto Components, Wuhan Univ.
CitationWang, C., Tan, G., Guo, X., Chen, M. et al., "Analysis of Hydraulic Retarder Air-Friction Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2504, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2504.
- Zhu , Jingchang. , Wei , Chenguan. Vehicle Hydraulic Transmission Beijing Defense Industry 1982 86 90
- Rongqing , Huang. , Lei , Wu. Principle and Application of Vehicle Hydraulic Retarder Automotive Electrical 2006 11 6 7 2006
- Guo , Xuexun. , Shi , Jun. The design and Experimental Study of a Vehicle Hydraulic Retarder Automotive Engineering 25 3 240 241 2003
- Zhisheng , Yu. , Qunsheng , Xia. Automobile Theory Bejing China Machine Press 2009 41 50
- Baoguo , Wang. , Shuyan , Liu. Gas Dynamics Beijing Beijing Institute of Technology 2005 36 41
- Caixia , Lin. , Xufei , Zhao. The Establishment of Energy Dissipation Equation of Hydraulic Retarder Machine Design 2014 03 80 84
- Zhao , Zhengnan. Heat Transfer Beijing High Education Press 2002 174 209
- Ren , He. , Jun , Yan. Three Dimensional Numerical Simulation and Performance Prediction of Hydraulic Retarder Automotive Engineering 2009 03 250 252 2009
- Tan , G. and Guo , X. , The Modeling and Performance Analysis of the Retarder Thermal Management System SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1929 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1929