This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Formulation and Process Modifications on Brake Friction, Wear and Squeal: Low-Copper NAOs and Importance of Disc Wear
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The influence of processing conditions on Low-Copper NAO disc pads were investigated as part of an effort to develop Low-Copper disc pad formulations as this kind of information is not readily available in open literature. Processing conditions as well as formulation modifications are found to influence friction, pad wear, disc wear and brake squeal. Low-Copper disc pads for pick-up trucks, equivalent to an OE pad, are developed. It is also found that brake squeal measured during the SAE J2522 (AK Master) Performance testing is related to the combined total wear rate of the disc plus the inner/outer pads or the disc wear rate alone, and that there is a threshold wear rate, above which brake squeal increases rapidly.
CitationSriwiboon, M., Tiempan, N., Kaewlob, K., and Rhee, S., "Influence of Formulation and Process Modifications on Brake Friction, Wear and Squeal: Low-Copper NAOs and Importance of Disc Wear," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2482, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2482.
- Kim, S., Lee, S., Park, B., and Rhee, S., “A Comprehensive Study of Humidity Effects on Friction, Pad Wear, Disc Wear, DTV, Brake Noise and Physical Properties of Pads,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2371, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2371.
- Kim, S., Lee, S., Park, B., Kim, S. et al., “A Comparative Study of Non-Asbestos Organics vs. Low Steel Lomets for Humidity Sensitivity,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1788, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1788.
- Lee, S., Kim, S., Kim, S., and Rhee, S., “Brake Disc Variability: Effect on Friction and Wear,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6(3):1455-1464, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2053.
- Liu, T., Rhee, S. and Lawson, K., “A Study of Wear Rates and Transfer Films of Friction Materials,” Wear, 60 (1980) 1-12.
- Nukumizu, K., Kobayashi, T., Abe, T., and Unno, M., “Study of the Formulation Mechanism for Metal Pickup on the Frictional Surface of a Disc Brake Pad,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2541, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2541.
- Hinrichs, R., Vasconcellos, M., and Soares, M., “Magnetite Generated by Tribo-Reactions on the Surface of Brake Pad Material,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1672, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1672.