This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Commercial Vehicles Muffler Volume Optimization using CFD Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In today's competitive world, vehicle with light weighting is the most focused area. Vehicle light weighting can be done either by using light weight materials or by reducing the size of the existing components. In present paper later approach of vehicle light weighting is followed. It will help in design lay outing and reduce weight will add benefit to Fuel Efficiency (FE) too.
Scope for light weighting is identified in exhaust system where muffler volume is optimized using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) commercial tool FLUENT™. The back pressure, exhaust gas temperature, sound noise level & sound quality are chosen as design verification parameters. The muffler volume is reduced by 14.1%; resultant system become 14.1% compact with 2% lighter weight.
Initially CFD analysis is performed on existing muffler and correlated with available test results. Accordingly parameters like pressure drop and flow induced noise are set as target values for new design.
Same CFD analysis process is used to find the optimum solution among the series of options available. Optimized design took the shape of proto sample and test results found very well correlation between CFD and physical test results.
CitationPatidar, A., Prasad, S., Gupta, U., and Subbarao, M., "Commercial Vehicles Muffler Volume Optimization using CFD Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2440, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2440.
- Munjal M. L. , Sreenath A. V. and Narsimhan M. V. Velocity ratio in the analysis of linear dynamics system J. of Sound and Vibration 26 1970 173 191
- Munjal M. L. Velocity ratio cum transfer matrix method for evaluation of muffler with neon flow J. of Sound and Vibration 29 1975 105 119
- Middelberg J. M. , Barber T. J. and Leong T. J. Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis of the Acoustics Performance of various simple expansion chamber mufflers Aoustics-2004 123 127
- Potente , Daniel General Design Principles for an Automotive Muffler Proceedings of ACOUSTICS 2005
- Reddy Rajasekhar M. and Dr Reddy Madhava M. Design and Optimization of Exhaust Muffler in Automobiles int. J. Engineering Research and Applications 2 5 Sep Oct 2012 395 398
- Lian-yun Liu , Zhi-young Hao , Chi Liu CFD Analysis of a Transfer Matrix of Exhaust Muffler with Mean Flow and Prediction of Exhaust Noise J. of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A September 2012 13 9 709 716
- Yunshi Yao , Shaodong Wei , Shibin Zhao , Zhongxu Feng et al. Experiment and CFD Analysis of Reactive Muffler Research Journal of Applied Science, Engineering and Technology 6 17 2013 3282 3288
- CATIA V5 User's Guide 2001
- Altair HyperMesh Use's Guide 2011
- ANSYS Inc. T Grid 13.0 User's Guide 2010
- ANSYS Inc. Fluent 13.0 User's Guide 2010