This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated Grading Operation for Hydraulic Excavators
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hydraulic excavators perform numerous tasks in the construction and mining industry. Although ground grading is a common task, proper grading cannot easily be achieved. Grading requires an experienced operator to control the boom, arm, and bucket cylinders in a rapid and coordinated manner. Due to this reason, automated grade control is being considered as an effective alternative to conventional human-operated ground grading. In this paper, a path-planning method based on a 2D kinematic model and inverse kinematics is used to determine the desired trajectory of an excavator's boom, arm, and bucket cylinders. Then, the developed path planning method and PI control algorithms for the three cylinders are verified by a simple excavator model developed in Simulink®. The simulation results show that the automated grade control algorithm can grade level or with reduced operation time and error.
CitationXu, J., Thompson, B., and Yoon, H., "Automated Grading Operation for Hydraulic Excavators," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2405, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2405.
- Yoshida, T., Koizumi, T., Tsujiuchi, N., Jiang, Z. et al., “Dynamic Analysis of an Excavator During Digging Operation,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 6(2):419-428, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2410.
- Casoli, P., Anthony, A., and Rigosi, M., “Modeling of an Excavator System - Semi Empirical Hydraulic Pump Model,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 4(1):242-255, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2278.
- Hoan, LQ. Jeong, CS. Kim, HS. Yang, HL. et al., “Study on Modeling and Control of Excavator,” 2011 Proceedings of the 28th ISARC, Seoul, Korea, 29 June, 2011.
- Liu, Y. Hasan, M S. Yu, H. “Modeling and Remote Control for Excavators.” Int. J. Automation and Computing 7(3):2010, doi:10.1007/s11633-010-0514-8.
- Niku Saeed B., “Introduction To Robotics,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New Jersey, ISBN 0-470-60446-8: 2011.
- Spong Mark W., Hutchinsom Seth Vidyasagar M., “Robot Modeling and Control,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New Jersey, ISBN 0-471-64990-2: 2006.
- Ginsberg Jerry, “Engineering Dynamics,” Cambridge University Press, New York, ISBN 0-521-88303-2: 2008.
- Koivo, A J. Thoma, M. Kocaoglan, E. Andrade-Cetto, J., “Modeling and control of excavator dynamics during digging operation,” Journal of aerospace engineering. 9(1):10-18,1996, doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0893-1321(1996)9:1(10).