This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Performance Study of Air-Friction Reduction System for Hydraulic Retarder
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The hydraulic retarder, which is an auxiliary brake device for enhancing traffic safety, has been widely used in kinds of heavy commercial vehicles. When the vehicle equipped with the retarder is traveling in non-braking state, the transmission loss would be caused because of the stirring air between working wheels of the rotor and the stator no matter if the retarder connects in parallel or in series with the transmission . This paper introduces an elaborate hydraulic retarder air-friction reduction system (AFRS) which consists of a vacuum generating module and pneumatic control module. AFRS works to reduce the air friction by decreasing the gas density between working wheels when the retarder is in non-braking state. The pneumatic control model of hydraulic retarder is built first. Then various driving conditions are considered to verify the performance of the AFRS. The stability of the AFRS is analyzed based on the complete driveline model. And the vacuum power of AFRS and the air-friction of retarder are analyzed comprehensively. On the basic of the whole vehicle driving cycle, the fuel economy of the vehicle equipped with AFRS is studied. The result indicates that the performance and stability of the AFRS could meet the system requirement in different driving condition. Comparing with traditional hydraulic retarder, the transmission loss could be reduced by 60% and the fuel consumption decreases by 5%.
CitationWang, C., Tan, G., Yang, B., Chen, M. et al., "The Performance Study of Air-Friction Reduction System for Hydraulic Retarder," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2283, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2283.
- Huang , Jungang. , Li , Changyou. , Tong , Jun. , Wen , Weiwei. Study on Pivotal Factors Influencing Breaking Torque of Hydraulic Retarder Machine Tool and Hydraulics 38 15 77 80 2010 1001-3881.2010.15.025
- Zhu , Jingchang. , Wei , Chenguan. Vehicle Hydraulic Transmission Beijing Defense Industry 1982 86 90
- Wu , Chao. , Xu , Ming. , Li , Huiyuan. , Guo , Liuyang. Air Losing Experimental Study of Heavy Vehicle Hydraulic Retarder Vehicle and Power Technology 1 24 25 2012 1009-4687(2012)01-0023-03
- Guo , Xuexun. , Shi , Jun. The design and Experimental Study of a Vehicle Hydraulic Retarder Automotive Engineering 25 3 240 241 2003
- Baoguo , Wang. , Shuyan , Liu. Gas Dynamics Beijing Beijing Institute of Technology 2005 36 41
- Naiheng , Yang. Principle Characteristics of Dry Vacuum Pump and its Applications Vacuum Technology and Application 6 3 3 9 2000 1002-0332(2000)3.0001.09
- Dianhua , Chen. , Weiping , Jia. Study of contacting Friction and Load-bearing Performance of One-Way Clutch Lubrication Engineering 32 3 192 194 2007 0245-0150(2007)3.192.3
- Yan , J. , Xuexun , G. , and Wu , B. Modeling and Simulation on Hydraulic Retarder Oil Charging & Discharging Control System SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0269 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0269
- Tan , G. and Guo , X. The Modeling and Performance Analysis of the Retarder Thermal Management System SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1929 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1929
- Zhisheng , Yu. , Qunsheng , Xia. Automobile Theory Bejing China Machine Press 2009 41 50