This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aircraft Secondary Power System Integration into Conceptual Design and Its Application to More Electric System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aircraft designers determine the optimum aircraft configuration to meet performance requirements. Aircraft secondary power systems are very important for aircraft operation, however, traditionally these systems have not been considered in detail while the aircraft configuration and specifications are preliminary studied. Therefore, we constructed an aircraft conceptual design tool considering the many aircraft systems. Furthermore, we applied this design tool to a simple design problem taking into account two different kinds of secondary power system architectures (i.e. the conventional bleed air system and the more electric system), and discussed how the introduction of new aircraft systems affects results. Although the present method is theoretical and conceptual with limited applicability, the effect of the aircraft's secondary power system upon the concerning aircraft specifications was made clear both for the bleed air system and the more electric system.
CitationShibata, K., Maedomari, T., Rinoie, K., Morioka, N. et al., "Aircraft Secondary Power System Integration into Conceptual Design and Its Application to More Electric System," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2199, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2199.
- Raymer, D.P., “Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach,” AIAA, Washington, ISBN 0-930403-51-7, 1992.
- Rinoie K., “Aircraft Conceptual Design,” Corona Publisher, Tokyo, ISBN 978-4-339-04619-9, 2011(in Japanese).
- Roskam, J., “Airplane Design Part I: Preliminary Sizing of Airplanes,” DARcorporation, Kansas, ISBN 1-8848-8542-X, 1997.
- Torenbeek, E., “Synthesis of Subsonic Airplane Design,” Delft University Press, Rotterdam, ISBN 90-247-2724-3, 1976.
- Dollmayer, J. and Carl, U. B., Consideration of Fuel Consumption Caused by Aircraft Systems in Aircraft Design, 25th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS-2006-7.2.4, Hamburg, 2006.
- Shibata, K. and Rinoie, K., Conceptual Design Method Considering Aircraft Secondary Power Systems Effect on Aircraft Performance, 51th Aircraft Symposium, JSASS-2-13-5149, Takamatsu, 2013 (in Japanese).
- Shibata, K. and Rinoie, K., “Integrated Conceptual Design Method Considering New Aircraft Secondary Power System,” 2013 Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Aerospace Technology, Takamatsu, 2013.
- Moir, I. and Seabridge, A., “Aircraft Systems Mechanical, Electrical and Avionics Subsystems Integration, Third Edition,” Willey, New Jersey, ISBN 978-0-470-05996-8, 2008.
- Moir, I. and Seabridge, A., “Design and Development of Aircraft Systems, Second Edition,” Willey, New Jersey, ISBN 978-1-118-46915-6, 2013.
- Martinez, I., “Aircraft Environmental Control,” http://webserver.dmt.upm.es/∼isidoro/tc3/Aircraft%20ECS.pdf, (retrieved in November 9, 2012).
- Meier, O. and Scholz, D., “A Handbook Method for the Estimation of Power Requirements for Electrical De-Icing Systems,” German Aerospace Congress, ID:161191, 2010, http://www.fzt.haw-hamburg.de/pers/Scholz/MOZART/MOZART_PUB_DLRK_10-08-31.pdf, (retrieved in April 22, 2013).
- Roskam, J., “Airplane Design Part IV: Layout Design of Landing Gear and Systems,” DARcorporation, Kansas, ISBN 1-8848-8553-5, 2000.
- Pratt, J. W., Klebanoff, L. E., Munoz-Ramos, K., Akhil, A. A., Curgis, D. B. and Schenkman, B. L., “Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells for Electrical Power Generation On-Board Commercial Airplanes,” SANDIA REPORT, SAND2011-3119, p.24, 2011.
- Eelman, S., Pozo del Poza, E., and Krieg, T., Fuel Cell APU's in Commercial Aircraft - an Assessment of SOFC and PEM Concepts, 24th International Congress of Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS-2004-7.6.3, Yokohama, 2004.
- Romi, F. I., A Strategic Planning Methodology for Aircraft Redesign, Doctoral Dissertation, Georgia Institute of Technology, p.244, 2009.
- Barreau, L., Eglem, M. and Heraud, P., “Anti-condensation Method and Device for an Aircraft,” U.S. Patent 0 199 315, Aug. 9, 2012.
- Berlowitz, I., “All/More Electric Aircraft Engine & Airframe Systems Implementation,” 9th Israeli Symposium on Jet Engines and Gas Turbines, No.9, Haifa, 2010.
- Jenkinson, L. R., Simpkin, P. and Rhodes, D., “Civil Jet Aircraft Design,” AIAA, Washington, ISBN 1-5347-350-X, 1999.
- Lawson, C. P., and Pointon, J. M., Thermal Management of Electromechanical Actuation on an All-Electric Aircraft, 26th International Congress of Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS-2008-6.6.2, Alaska, 2008.
- Jackson, P., “Jane's All the World's Aircraft 2011-2012,” Janes Information Group, London, ISBN 0-7106-3000-X, 2011.
- Deb, K., Pratap, A., Agarwal, S., and Meyarivan, T., “A Fast and Elitist Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm : NSGAII,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 6(2), 2002, doi:10.1109/4235.996017.