This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flight Path Reconstruction and Wind Estimation Using Flight Test Data from Crash Data Recorder (CDR)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the implementation of flight path reconstruction (FPR) and wind estimation techniques applied to a high performance fighter aircraft. The analysis is carried out for the flight test data gathered and stored in a Crash Data Recorder (CDR). The data signals obtained from CDR are generally highly noisy, with frequent data drop outs and also with low sampling rate. The estimation technique applied for data reconstruction is the extended Kalman filtering (EKF). The reconstructed trajectories can be compared with the actual flight trajectories such that, in case of unavailability of data from other sources (e.g., digital flight control computer), the algorithm should be able to reconstruct the trajectories with the minimum set of data available from the CDR. Wind estimation along with the trajectory reconstruction can give better accuracy in airspeed as well as flow angles. The algorithm also aims at determining the bias/systematic instrument errors and generating accurate aircraft state trajectories. A standalone application is developed to reconstruct the flight trajectories for the full flight data. The algorithm is implemented using MATLAB®.
|Technical Paper||Aircraft Crash Safety Research in Australia|
|Technical Paper||Summary of Vertical Drop Tests of YS-11 Transport Fuselage Sections|
|Technical Paper||Special Report on Bell ACAP Full-Scale Aircraft Crash Test|
CitationNusrath, K., Sarmah, A., and Singh, J., "Flight Path Reconstruction and Wind Estimation Using Flight Test Data from Crash Data Recorder (CDR)," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2168, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2168.
- Pan , Chihchin and Lan , C. Edward Estimation of Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Jet Transport using Accident FDR Data AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference and Exhibit 5 8 August 2002 Monterey, California
- Sembiring Javensius , Drees Ludwig , and Holzapfel Florian Extracting Unmeasured Parameters Based on Quick Access Recorder Data Using Parameter-Estimation Method AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics (AFM) Conference August 19 22 2013 Boston, MA
- Jategaonkar , R.V. Flight Vehicle System Identification - A Time Domain Methodology AIAA Progress in Astronautics andAeronautics AIAA New York 2006
- Wingrove , R. C. , and Bach , R.E. Analysis of Wind shear from Airline Flight Data AIAA Journal of Aircraft 26 2 Feb. 1989 103 109
- Raol J.R. , Girija G. and Singh J. Modeling and Parameter Estimation of Dynamic Systems IEE Control Engineering Series 65 2004
- Kamali C , Saraf Amitabh , Pashilkar A A Online Health Monitoring of Simplex Inertial Navigation System of a High Performance Aircraft Proceedings of IFAC-EGNCA 2012
- Chowdhary Girish , Jategaonkar Ravindra Aerodynamic parameter estimation from flight data applying extended and unscented Kalman filter Aerospace Science and Technology 14 2010 106 117